Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Went to the range today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Went to the range today

Got to go the range today. I got to shoot my para ordance 1911, glock 19, S/W 638, and my taurs 738. The 1911 (LTC ) shot like a dream, using 230g FMJ,50 rounds, not one issue. The glock 19, 50 rounds, no issues. The 38, little bit of a handful, not used to a snub nose, no issues though. The 738,(380), although reading on some forums, issues with feeding issues, put 50 rounds through it with no problems. All in all quite pleased with all of them. I'm still new to handguns shot all of them at 15 yards, had a few flyers but most of them in the torso area, still need more practice, mainly with trigger control, and trying to keep both eyes open is something to get used to. I'm looking forward to shooting again. Guys, you got any suggestions on trigger control? Any tips?
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

If you had any groups at all, and it's hard to tell by your description without photos, you might use the chart below to help you a little bit.

Also, since you say you're new to handguns, you might want to think about starting at the seven yard line until you're very comfortable and shooting consistent groups......then work your way out to ten or fifteen. Anything further than that with a handgun is just a waste of ammo, in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Number one drill/exercise for smooth trigger pull and control is Dry fire practice. This allows you to concentrate on sight alignment and your trigger control without having to be at the range or spending money on ammunition. As they say, perfect practice makes perfect, and dry firing allows you to perfectly practice trigger control and sight alignment.

Once you think you have mastered this double handed, switch to doing it single handed, practice with both your strong hand and then switch to your weak hand.

Continue using these dry fire drills as a routine practice exercise, and switch up using all three grips. You could even incorporate a chambered laszer cartridge, that will flash on the above target, to show simulated target impact, when the trigger is pulled.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

One thing that most new shooters forget is the "Follow Through".

Try this, continue to pull the trigger after the shot is fired. Release the trigger only after the handgun has settled down.

Most will lift the trigger finger when the shot goes. Do that with dry fire and you will see that the front sight moves.

Try to release the trigger in the same amount of time that was used to pull the trigger. If it takes a 3 count to pull the trigger from start to firing pin release, then use a 3 count to release.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC