Wanting to buy my first 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Wanting to buy my first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Wanting to buy my first 1911

Any thoughts about which 1911 is the best for the money? I really like Les Baer 1911's, but also considering Kimber and Colt also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I love my Sig commander sized 1911. I had nothing but problems that never were resolved with my one Kimber. Never owned a Colt, but my step-brother has a Commander that has worked reliably for over 30 years.

About the Kimber. For the most part they make fine firearms. If you do get one that has problems you will send it back at least twice. The first time they will ignore what you tell them and do what they called standard repairs. That consisted of replacing the ejector (or extractor) and recoil springs and polishing the feed ramp. The second time they may listen to you and actually attempt to fix the problem. If they get it right, great. In my case they didn't. The third time I sent it in they replaced springs again, managed to strip out the left grip screw holes, and sent it back drenched in oil.

After the third attempt failed miserably, plus resulted in damage to the pistol, I asked for and received a refund. Each time I got the thing back it had more malfunctions than when I sent it in. If you get a good Kimber you have a gun for life. If you get a bad Kimber you have problems.

Last edited by Doc3402; 03-11-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3055 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Colt and Kimber cost almost the same. What is the length of the warranty period?
Kimber is 1 year limited. Most people do not shoot enough to break in a handgun within one year.
So Kimber is off of my list as a choice.

Other choices? Yes, go to the web sites and look at warranties. Springfield Armory is based in Illinois (gun restriction capitol of the US), Fusion Arms (Yep, New York state), Wilson (Arkansas, like Bill Clinton), Ed Brown (Missouri), Les Baer (Iowa).

If you go with Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer, you could not go wrong.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hear great things about RIA... I don't have one but have a high standard (armscor) for. $400 I have more $$ to buy ammo! (.45 ammo isn't cheap)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH67 View Post
Any thoughts about which 1911 is the best for the money? I really like Les Baer 1911's, but also considering Kimber and Colt also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Firearms Talk mobile app
If Les Baer is within your budget, then by all means go with them. The primary downside I can see is that they are semi custom and there is very likely going to be a waiting period. If you find one on a shelf somewhere configured to your liking, you're GTG.
I am on the same page with Danf_fl where Kimber is concerned. There have been many contentious Kimber threads, so suffice it to say that I find their one year warranty disappointing. That one issue aside, The people I know that have them are happy.
Colt? Can't really go wrong with Colt.
There are many really good options that can be added to your potential "short" list. I have two Dan Wessons. To be fair, DW can get rather pricey and are probably way too close in price to Les Baer for some tastes, but DW makes a helluva pistol and certainly deserves consideration. Additionally Springfield Armory has something for everyone at a competitive price.

As noted there are literally dozens of possible options. Everyone has their favorites.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

Liked 946 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 704

Call CJ and see what he has for a Les Baer. You won't beat his prices and is a great guy to talk to. There is a good chance he might have what you want.

http://cj1911heaven.com/

USMC 74-78

Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 318 Posts

I like Colt for a high quality, value purchase. They are not the flashiest, but they have a great warranty and simply work. Kimbers are pretty, but there are enough anecdotal stories of poor service put there to scare me off. Baer, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, etc. are all great, but you do pay a premium for the privilege. The Dan Wesson's seem to be in a nice quality/price point. They are kind of in between the Colt/Kimbers and not quite as expensive as the truly custom guns. All that being said, my neighbor grabbed a Ruger for under $700 that is very nice, and people seem to like there low priced RIA's. Maybe we are in the Golden Age of 1911s??? Pick one that floats your boat and go shoot the hell out of it. Then repeat repeatedly.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my gosh, there is a huge assortment of 1911's to choose from and a person could go nuts trying to sort through all of them.

Colt is a good choice for many reasons, simply because they are the original maker of the 1911 from the beginning, plus that tends to increase their value years later for many people, an they are a very good 1911 to go with.

lots of other good options as well, such as Springfield Armory, as they are a solid performer in the 1911 arena and they also have a custom shop as well. i have probably owned moe SA 1911's than any other brand over the years, and absolutely love them.

Dan Wesson makes some really nice looking 1911's at what to me is a decent price considering the quality. STI is another to look at. they make some really high quality pistols. Remington and Ruger are moving forward in the 1911 market with some new models. both are very good choices and so far most are very pleased with them.

i could continue, but there are just a lot of choices to consider. set a budget, define the use of the pistol and what features you want in that pistol. many times that will narrow it down a bit and make the choices a little easier. hopefully!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 293 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Any more feedback on 1911 Sigs? I know they're in the $1,000+ category but I've heard nothing but good comments from owners and they have a limited lifetime warranty.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #10

What about the S&W E series pistols.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk