Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
I paid $745+tax for a Kimber Custom TLE II .45 in 04 used it for a trade on a new Colt 5" .45.

Kimber with cleaver marketing has pushed their prices and pushed their production with many new products. This push on production has just caused a drop in their quality, and many people buying their products have seen their 1911s requiring reworking.

In the late 80 into the 90s Colt was providing many of their M4s to the military, they also neglected their 1911 quality, and people were getting guns that needed reworking.

Today Colt has been turning things around and their quality has greatly improved. This is the main reason why I traded off all my Kimbers on new Colts.
+1 rifleshooter!

You guys should listen to this intelligent gentleman.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #12

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant View Post
I was thinking magwell because my 8 round mag hangs down a little. Who makes the best magwell to put on it and is it an easy fit?
I hate plastic! Everyone here knows that so I guess it isn't a surprise the first thing I did to my new XSE was to remove the composite mainspring housing!

I know, I know, most modern era 1911 owners don't even know that their MSH is plastic but I did and it needed to go!

I'm a high-ride grip freak and need my strong side hand up as high as possible on the grip. A flat, back-strap gave me the only reason I needed to change out the tupperware. My choice was a Smith & Alexander arched MSH with Mag-Guide. This arched MSH forces your hand up and into the beavertail, or in this case, the lousy duck bill grip safety on most current Colts. (It will go in the next Fenrir episode.) I have had experience with S&A when I replaced the same part on my Defender and their quality and customer service is top rate! If you have a question about installation, give Alan Smith a call, he will walk you through the process until it's working! A conversation with Alan is like a pistolsmith lesson. Barbra Smith is equally knowledgeable and both are a pleasure to deal with!

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

I got the government model arched stainless w/mag-guide; Model # GMAS MG for $78.95.

Installation is simple and the only extra step required is to install the spring and caps from the old MSH. (No sweat if you have a Wheeler Bench Block!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #13

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1 rifleshooter!

You guys should listen to this intelligent gentleman.
Yup- He's from Texas ya know

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET