Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Upgrades (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/upgrades-59294/)

tenntyrant 03-03-2012 12:08 AM

Are there any upgrades I should make to my kimber to make it a little better. I shot it today 2 boxes Winchester white 100 rounds not one problem. I was just thinking about doing some upgrades like mabey a magwell.

HOSSFLY 03-03-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenntyrant (Post 726874)
Are there any upgrades I should make to my kimber to make it a little better. I shot it today 2 boxes Winchester white 100 rounds not one problem. I was just thinking about doing some upgrades like mabey a magwell.

If it shoots OK then just cosmetic stuff like grips, magwell IMO-
I'm a big magwell fan :)
Even put one on my 1911-22 & RIA 9mm Tactical :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2000/45448.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2000/45449.jpg

tenntyrant 03-03-2012 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was thinking magwell because my 8 round mag hangs down a little. Who makes the best magwell to put on it and is it an easy fit?

Attachment 40476



Attachment 40477

Gatoragn 03-03-2012 01:23 AM

I would hope for the price of a Kimber, few upgrades would be necessary.

Although I did put some Trijicon night sights on mine.

tenntyrant 03-03-2012 03:30 AM

Why does everyone act like kimbers are over priced I looked at several guns including springfeild colt sig and kimber and they were all within a few bucks of each other and I bought the kimber for less than it would have cost for the springfeild. I didn't think 899.00 was all that high for a new kimber pro TLE 2

danf_fl 03-03-2012 10:41 AM

Take a look here: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32480/Product/1911-AUTO-MAGWELL-MAINSPRING-HOUSING-KITS

Gatoragn 03-03-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenntyrant (Post 727094)
Why does everyone act like kimbers are over priced I looked at several guns including springfeild colt sig and kimber and they were all within a few bucks of each other and I bought the kimber for less than it would have cost for the springfeild. I didn't think 899.00 was all that high for a new kimber pro TLE 2

IMO any pistol that costs ~$900 should not require much upgrading, does not mean overpriced. Upgrades = trigger job, new trigger, etc.

If you want to add accessories, like snazzy grips, mag well, etc. go for it. I do.

HOSSFLY 03-03-2012 02:18 PM

I used this one on one of mine - Fit & finish was great :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Colt-Mainspring-Housing-MagWell-Black-Plain-/251004026872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7101 7ff8#ht_500wt_949

rifleshooter474 03-03-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 727403)
IMO any pistol that costs ~$900 should not require much upgrading, does not mean overpriced. Upgrades = trigger job, new trigger, etc.

If you want to add accessories, like snazzy grips, mag well, etc. go for it. I do.

I paid $745+tax for a Kimber Custom TLE II .45 in 04 used it for a trade on a new Colt 5" .45.

Kimber with cleaver marketing has pushed their prices and pushed their production with many new products. This push on production has just caused a drop in their quality, and many people buying their products have seen their 1911s requiring reworking.

In the late 80 into the 90s Colt was providing many of their M4s to the military, they also neglected their 1911 quality, and people were getting guns that needed reworking.

Today Colt has been turning things around and their quality has greatly improved. This is the main reason why I traded off all my Kimbers on new Colts.:)

canebrake 03-03-2012 04:28 PM

Shoot it some more. In fact, SHOOT THE SNOT OUT OF IT] before you make any changes!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.