Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > unreliable kimber 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default unreliable kimber 1911

i just recently purchased a kimber custom II 1911. i fired 9 rounds out of it and it jammed twice. when i try to chamber a round it jams as well. kimber told me that this is normal for "high end guns". i tried different ammo and different clips, with the same results. kimber told me the bugs will work themselves out. is this customary for a high end gun. a gun that doesn't fire is a worthless gun. a brand new $800 gun should not malfunction. how do you "break in" a gun that doesn't chamber a round, aand since when is this normal???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #2

my springfield A1 loaded model did this as well. mine functioned properly after about a hundered rounds or so.... and I haven't had a problem with it since. when a 1911 is stiff from the factory they tend to need to be shot to cycle right. come to think of it my othe three did as well....

Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13starz View Post
i just recently purchased a kimber custom II 1911. i fired 9 rounds out of it and it jammed twice. when i try to chamber a round it jams as well. kimber told me that this is normal for "high end guns". i tried different ammo and different clips, with the same results. kimber told me the bugs will work themselves out. is this customary for a high end gun. a gun that doesn't fire is a worthless gun. a brand new $800 gun should not malfunction. how do you "break in" a gun that doesn't chamber a round, aand since when is this normal???
Used? Or new? Caliber? Bought it directly from Kimber, or from a dealer?

Normally, no, you should not have to "break in" a new gun of this quality.

Kimber should have a return policy, and a repair policy, both of which you should be able to take advantage of if you purchased it new.

Either way, I have owned 3 and have never had the problems you have described.

JD

Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #4

i bought it brand new from a dealer. its a .45 acp. i called kimber and they gave me the run around, so did my dealer. i posted this elsewhere and people are telling me this is normal, but i dont see how. im no gun expert by any means and this is my first 1911.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have bought 3 Kimbers, brand new, and two of which were .45 caliber. I have never had, nor have I heard of, anyone with this problem.

There are multiple owners here on the board who have never posted such a problem.

When you say Kimber has given you the run around, as has the person who sold you the weapon - I am skeptical. I would recommend personally visiting the store that you bought the weapon from and making them test it.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Return it. Kimber's firearms are second to none. There is the occasional POS and that's why Kimber has a 1 year warranty. Fire the requisite 100 rounds, then take it back. There is no reason to have to deal with an $800 dollar piece of garbage.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just two questions, what type of ammo (brand and bullet) and what type of mags are you using?

There are indeed lemons in the gun world, so it may be a return to Kimber deal for you. Get a few more rounds through her. This is by no means an insult to you at all, but as you are a self-described semi-new 1911 man, I would take an experienced friend with you to shoot it as well. It could be how you are shooting it (again this is not meant as an insult).

Good luck, I know that is so frustrating having a weapon that doesn't act right. Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Mine has functioned flawlessly from day one, even with hollow points. I was getting Fiocchi 230 gr. HP for $6/box for a while, so that's what I fed it for the better part of a year. My personal defense ammo is a mixed bag of 195 gr. and 230 gr. Hydrashocks and it cycles them without a problem.

I'm still running Kimber magazines that are 10 years old and have held rounds for the whole 10 years. They feed ammo to the pistol just fine and have never caused a problem.

My one concern is how you're holding it, but it doesn't sound like that's the issue. Maybe take some pictures of the pistol while it's jammed and it would better help us diagnose the problem.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #9

i have a factory mag, and kimber is sending me a new one. the clip that came with the gun was acting up. the gun dealer i bought my gun from suggested a wilson clip. i purchased that clip and it didn't fit. i got so many responses on what type of ammo to shoot, but there are so many opinions out there

Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've run damn near everything on the market through mine, including SWC in both cast and FMJ flavors. It got a little sluggish with the SWCs, but it fed them. The SWCs were given to me by a friend because they wouldn't run in his Glock.

Roger Waters