Tripp Conversions Came Yesterday!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Tripp Conversions Came Yesterday!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Tripp Conversions Came Yesterday!

Hi Folks,

I had been having trouble feeding truncated cone hardcast

that had been feeding perfectly last summer. All other profiles from ball to hollowpoint fed fine. The couple wadcutters I had on hand showed no problems either.

In looking things over and double-checking with folks at other sites I figured the magazine springs should be replaced first as there are less than 500 rounds on the 18.5lb recoil spring.

Tripp hybrid conversion kits came yesterday.

These are just awesome!

The followers are hybrid and are of high quality.

I only had one bobble with the feeding - the first time I charged manually from slide stop. I pulled the slide back fully and it rode up fine.

I wouldn't mind finding a wadcutter profile bullet mold, but I really like this truncated cone style and want it to feed perfectly again.

The recoil spring still looks to be in good shape. The reloads may need a bumped powder charge, but the empties are ejecting in a textbook fashion, about 6' to my 4 o'clock.

I'm waiting on a Lee trimmer to get here to check all my cases, but they should all be in spec. I just can't see a .45acp case growing that much! I'll play with the handloads after casting new bullets.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the Tripp conversions. Might have to spring for a Cobra mag to help feed these TC bullets as I've read they're more inline than other mags. We will see. I've never seen anything feed quite this slick before -- including my much-loved tapered-lip GI mag with GI hardball! I consider that the supreme setup for hardball use, so that says a lot!

I wish I'd not waited this long to order. Now if the spring life proves good, I'll convert my practice mags over, too!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Looks like a good setup bro

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Virgil Tripp did for 1911 mags what John Browning did for auto-loaders!

I'm a Tripp Cobra Mag disciple.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Virgil Tripp did for 1911 mags what John Browning did for auto-loaders!

I'm a Tripp Cobra Mag disciple.
Should be getting mine in the mail soon. Thanks for the advice sir. Can't wait to try it out

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I bet my life every day that I carry my 1911 with my Cobra mags in them.? I agree with Canebrake 100%