Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Tripp Cobra Mags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/tripp-cobra-mags-67288/)

tenntyrant 06-29-2012 12:09 AM

Tripp Cobra Mags
 
I got my Tripp Cobra 8 round mags today and the are awsome I am going to order 4 more this weekend.

canebrake 06-29-2012 12:17 AM

Another satisfied customer! You guys need to listen to this old man, I do have my moments!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/tri3-1.png

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/1_8r45rg.png

michigan0626 06-29-2012 12:28 AM

Canebrake,

With my Colt Rail Gun, are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the 8 round magazines over the 7 rounders? Colt sells them with 8 rounders. Just trying to see if losing 1 valuable round makes them function more reliably. Or, are the Tripp Cobras just that good that going with 8 should not be a problem?

Also, are the alloy basepads worth the $8.50 expense? What improvements do they provide?

canebrake 06-29-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 852704)
Canebrake,

With my Colt Rail Gun, are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the 8 round magazines over the 7 rounders? Colt sells them with 8 rounders. Just trying to see if losing 1 valuable round makes them function more reliably. Or, are the Tripp Cobras just that good that going with 8 should not be a problem?

Also, are the alloy basepads worth the $8.50 expense? What improvements do they provide?

Short answer; YES!

Let me explain the advantages of a Tripp 8 rounder.

This is the 7 round Cobra Mag, it has a welded base;

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/7r45wo.png

And this is the 8 rounder, it has a poly removable base;

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/1_8r45rg.png ........ http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...1_8r45rg-2.png
.................................^ this is where the 8th round fits.

And with the alloy base, when you're as old as me, style is all I've got left! :o

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/DSCF5427.jpg

You decide if the up-charge is worth the KOOL FACTOR!

I did. ;)

cuba 06-29-2012 01:17 AM

I've never used them but was wondering what configuration the feed lips are formed to, tapered, straight wad cutter, or hybrid, also wondering if the follower has the dimple on it like the original design and where I might find a good deal on them.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...arison_top.jpg

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

bartwatkins 06-29-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba
I've never used them but was wondering what configuration the feed lips are formed to, tapered, straight wad cutter, or hybrid, also wondering if the follower has the dimple on it like the original design and where I might find a good deal on them.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

I'm not sure about the feed lip question (Cane can probably answer that one) but I bought my 3 Tripp 9mm mags for my DW from 'Make Ready Pro' dotcom. Botach dotcom also sells them but they had mixed reviews as far as customer service goes so I skipped them. Was very happy dealing with Make Ready Pro - you can also order directly from Tripp Research but I got a much better deal on shipping costs.

canebrake 06-29-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba (Post 852758)
I've never used them but was wondering what configuration the feed lips are formed to, tapered, straight wad cutter, or hybrid, also wondering if the follower has the dimple on it like the original design and where I might find a good deal on them.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Glad you asked. Want a definitive answer?

Do yourself a favor and call Aaron (877)837-9445 at Tripp Research.

Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Magazines

Tell him canebrake sent you. Buy one Gen II Cobra Mag for your 1911 and do a side by side comparison. If you don't agree that the Cobra Mag is twice the mag any mag you can buy I will buy it from you including the shipping to and from you!

Yes, they are that good! And I bet you will be buying more Cobra Mags after this test!

In the photo below you will see the Wilson Combat EMT p/n 500B (Black) .45 ACP, 8 RD. ETM Tactical Magazine, Price: $36.95 (p/n 500 stainless $34.95)
sandwiched by two Tripp Research Cobra Mags p/n 8R-45-RG .45 ACP, 8 RD. Magazine, Price: $32.95 (photo shows mags with optional alloy base pad)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/1weld1.jpg

Notice not only the quality of the welds but the fit and finish of the final product.


http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF4314-2.jpg

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...gs/TvW-1-1.jpg

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

michigan0626 06-29-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 852757)
Short answer; YES!

Let me explain the advantages of a Tripp 8 rounder.

This is the 7 round Cobra Mag, it has a welded base;

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/7r45wo.png

And this is the 8 rounder, it has a poly removable base;

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/1_8r45rg.png ........ http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...1_8r45rg-2.png
.................................^ this is where the 8th round fits.

And with the alloy base, when you're as old as me, style is all I've got left! :o

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/DSCF5427.jpg

You decide if the up-charge is worth the KOOL FACTOR!

I did. ;)



I couldnt stop laughing with that. Thanks again for the advice.

porkchops 06-29-2012 01:42 AM

I want a 7 rounder with plastic skirted follower to compare to my 4 KimPro and Kimber OEM

cuba 06-29-2012 01:47 AM

Thanks for the info and effort, I'll call tomorrow and mention your user name. I'm currently using the Checkmate 8 round poly base with the dimpled follower and the hybrid feed lips and I'm very pleased with them the quality is on par with the Cobras, but since frequenting this forum I've read stellar review about the Cobras and was contemplating in giving them a try, by the way I don't buy into the Wilson Combat hype, again thanks.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.