Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Trigger stop (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/trigger-stop-59685/)

progolfer_iii 03-07-2012 08:56 PM

Firing pin stop

2 Attachment(s)
Where the firing pin stop meets the slide, there's a "bump" when it slides past the hammer. Is this normal? Should I smooth it out? It's a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. It looks like the stop is too short.

danf_fl 03-07-2012 09:27 PM

Replace the dern thing. If you smooth it out and then later get a longer firing pin stop, you create another problem.

canebrake 03-07-2012 09:56 PM

You need a better camera. Not much help with those pics.

The slide doesn't "slide past the hammer", it cocks the hammer.

progolfer_iii 03-07-2012 10:02 PM

Sorry, that was with my phone. I'll get some good pics posted. :)

Cane, after the hammer is cocked, I can manually rack the slide and feel a "bump" or a "catch" where the firing pin stop meets the slide.

Does that make sense?

HOSSFLY 03-07-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progolfer_iii (Post 732360)
Sorry, that was with my phone. I'll get some good pics posted. :)

Cane, after the hammer is cocked, I can manually rack the slide and feel a "bump" or a "catch" where the firing pin stop meets the slide.

Does that make sense?

I may be confused but it seems you mite get a "bump" if it was too long but not to short? I would NOT smooth anything out - Get another stop- Dont cost nothing much ---

canebrake 03-07-2012 10:32 PM

golfer, does the FP stop move around? With the slide locked back can you move the stop, up/down or side to side?

When the stop is loose the extractor can rotate and change the extractor's geometry resulting in FTEs.

It can also change the geometry of the hammer/FP stop interface and induce a side-loading force on the hammer pin.

If you can feel a "bump" or a "catch" when racking the slide with the hammer cocked, something is wrong. (Unless what you're feeling is the disconnector going in or out of the release trench.)

Post pics and point to the area where you think the problem exists. And/or the area you think needs filed. DO NOT file anything yet!

progolfer_iii 03-07-2012 11:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes, the stop will move up and down. It's hard to get a good picture but i think you can see the lip when the stop is pushed up.

danf_fl 03-07-2012 11:27 PM

Let me see if I understand.
Hammer cocked. Pulling slide to rear and you feel a bump.

Does it happen when the firing pin stop meets the cocked hammer or before?
If before the firing pin stop hits the cocked hammer, then it has to be disconnector. The disconnector is moved from that little slot as the slide moves over it. The "ledge" below the firing ping stop should not be enough to worry about unless you see part of the hammer being scraped away.

There also the possibility that the hammer has a burr where the "ledge" is hanging up.

progolfer_iii 03-07-2012 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic. You can see the hammer sitting on the lip. When I slide the slide back, the hammer moves down at the stop but them catches on the lip.

progolfer_iii 03-08-2012 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Dan, maybe I SHOULD be looking at the hammer? There is a flat spot. Looks normal though.