Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Torn on which to buy, thoughts.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Torn on which to buy, thoughts.....

Ok I've been saving for a 1911 now for a little bit and am torn between which to get. I know I want a commander size and really love a bobtailed MSH as well. I've been looking at the Dan Wesson V-bob, the price isn't too bad but still a little high for my wallet, it would just take longer to save up.

Are there any other good production 1911's commander sized w a bobtail? Or would I be better off getting a commander w a stock MSH and having a smith do the work.

Just looking for some opinions. I want a quality firearm (I know you need to spend money to get quality) w bobtail. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Smith and Wesson and Sig Saur both offer bobbed models. The Sig version is called a Nightmare. Forgot that Kimber also has a bobbed model. All three will be less expensive than the DW, but not as high quality either.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Smith and Wesson and Sig Saur both offer bobbed models. The Sig version is called a Nightmare. Forgot that Kimber also has a bobbed model. All three will be less expensive than the DW, but not as high quality either.
Thanks for the response, do you know the model that the Kimber is?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

I believe they call them the Super Carry models. You can find them on their website.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2653 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

With a little work and different grips, you could get this for almost any 1911 platform:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainspring-housings/1911-auto-bobtail-mainspring-housing-prod1346.aspx

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Do you any smiths that would be blue to do so?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2653 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

Print the page and take it with to a local gun smith.

There is a jig that is required, but a one time purchase for the smith.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #8

Really any reputable smith should be able to do a bob job. The trick is finding one that will contour the edges of the bobbed frame to match the bobbed MSH. Then if your gun is anything other than stainless, you will need to have the frame refinished as bobbing the frame will create a raw steel edge.

Get estimates first is my advice for going this route. I've had a gun bobbed by a smith, but he's my most trusted smith. I wouldn't let this project be my first experience with someone.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You asked, I'll respond.

Is this your first 1911?

Sage advice would be to buy an entry-level Commander like this;

ATIGFX45GI FX 1911 45 ACP 4.25" 8+1 - Bud's shipped $389.00

With the cash you save, shoot the snot out of it and familiarize yourself with the platform. If you made a mistake or the Commander doesn't turn out to be what you want, it will be less expensive than cashing-up for a hi-end pistol.

Upside to this approach is you start shooting now. You become aware of what you like and dislike with the 1911 platform, the gun you have in your hand and have shot.

The gun, if properly kept, will not drop in value and a running Commander will always sell for what you paid for it.

You can customize this gun by experimenting with a boat-load of accessories and little worry to screwing up a hi-end gun. (New 1911 owners will find ways to do this during their steep learning curve.)

Start saving for your replacement gun which WILL change as you become more experienced. Trust me on this, it has happened to all of us.

This approach makes the gun you covet today, either the love of your life.......or the relationship you wish you never entered. It happens.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
You asked, I'll respond.

Is this your first 1911?

Sage advice would be to buy an entry-level Commander like this;

ATIGFX45GI FX 1911 45 ACP 4.25" 8+1 - Bud's shipped $389.00

With the cash you save, shoot the snot out of it and familiarize yourself with the platform. If you made a mistake or the Commander doesn't turn out to be what you want, it will be less expensive than cashing-up for a hi-end pistol.

Upside to this approach is you start shooting now. You become aware of what you like and dislike with the 1911 platform, the gun you have in your hand and have shot.

The gun, if properly kept, will not drop in value and a running Commander will always sell for what you paid for it.

You can customize this gun by experimenting with a boat-load of accessories and little worry to screwing up a hi-end gun. (New 1911 owners will find ways to do this during their steep learning curve.)

Start saving for your replacement gun which WILL change as you become more experienced. Trust me on this, it has happened to all of us.

This approach makes the gun you covet today, either the love of your life.......or the relationship you wish you never entered. It happens.
This makes a lot of sense.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

canebrake Likes This