Took the leap.... got a RIA 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Took the leap.... got a RIA 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Took the leap.... got a RIA 1911

I decided to step into the world of 1911s the other day. I bought a RIA 1911 from a friend and tried it out today. It seems to shoot pretty well but I'm certainly going to need some more practice with it. Here is a pic along with some range targets. With some practice I can hopefully make the groups more consistent. I also took my 22 colt and XDm9 as well. All in all a good day at the range.

Chuck

ria-45.jpg   45-7-yds-10-14-09.jpg   45-25-yrds-10-14-09.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The .45 does jump around a little more than the .22 or 9mm, eh? Nice looking piece, what did your friend extort from ya for it?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A 3" bull barrel Defender look alike is probably not the best 1911 to start out with!

It took me a great deal of time and changes to my developed government 5" experience to find success with my Defender! The first two or three range trips gave me a good bit of heart burn. Thought I'd bought a real lemon or worst an unsafe weapon.

Had a range officer ask me if this was my first 'mouse gun'?

He went on to say shootin' them is way different than a FS 1911!

I never had a problem limp wristing a FS but was having FTE issues and could not shoot a full mag without one!

A few simple grip changes and a higher into the thumb web purchase and the gun went from Jekyll to Hyde!

DO NOT expect this pistol to be anything other than a CQB PD weapon. For that purpose, you can't do much better. If you bought it for target shooting > 5 meters you will spend a ton of ammo getting proficient (or lucky) and more than likely remain sorely disappointed!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmmm...

Seven round mags, more of an Officer clone (3.5") than a Defender. Nonetheless, the speed trigger and the replacement slide stop along with the FLGR indicate that the pistol has been "worked" before you bought it. Not a stock RIA compact.

Nonetheless, I agree with my man canebrake that the emphasis on groups should probably be the last thing you want to do. Center mass close up and personal is what your new baby is good for.

You can make a compact pistol into an equal to a 5" as far as accuracy is concerned. You can do this with carry in mind. It is strictly up to you. You've got to put some bucks and considerable elbow grease into it however;

Depends on philosophy, the Colt above conceals very well (for me), and hangs right with my 5" pistols at target work. I personally prefer a carry pistol that is capable of engaging targets @ 25 yards and greater. That may be the antithesis for some who want a "belly gun".

I built this pistol with reliability and accuracy in mind over a stock M1991A1 Compact. I carry it every day. I have big hands, hence the slim grips and the magwell extension. I replaced the "plug" recoil system with a Kings FLGR and reverse plug (removed .09 from the dust cover), hard chrome, and de-horned adjustable sights provide finish durability (holster scrub) and, the ability to zero with a variety of ammunition (bullet weights and types).

A Storm Lake match barrel and bushing round out the package in conjunction with a rework of the Colt trigger group for a crisp "combat carry " pull.

have fun with that RIA, good luck with it.

Last edited by crockett007; 10-14-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I had one of these RIA Compacts for a time. Nice little shooter but certainly not a target gun. Mine was very reliable and even shot most JHP rounds well...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just seeing how it would do. I wasn't under the impression it would be a hyper accurate target gun or nuttin It has had some work done to the trigger and feed ramps have been polished as well as the bull barrel. I think this will be a good introduction piece into the 1911 family.

I actually need alot more time on the range.

I traded one of my home built ARs for the gun + a ton of ammo and some other odds and ends.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I decided to step into the world of 1911s the other day. I bought a RIA 1911 from a friend and tried it out today. It seems to shoot pretty well but I'm certainly going to need some more practice with it. Here is a pic along with some range targets. With some practice I can hopefully make the groups more consistent. I also took my 22 colt and XDm9 as well. All in all a good day at the range.

Chuck
Nice. I'm thinking about getting the RIA M1911A1. The one I've been lookin at is a full size. How do you like yours? I mostly want the RIA because the price is attractive. Plus I'd rather have a GI-style 1911 over one with all the California-bs, lawyer-friendly stuff on it.

Can I ask anyone on here? Is there anything I should know before purchasing a 1911? I don't want to end up getting something I am not going to like. I have shot them and love the feel and look of the gun. Just wondering if there are any FYI's I need to know about before I get one. Thanks.

Last edited by hogger129; 10-15-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #8

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Nice. I'm thinking about getting the RIA M1911A1. The one I've been lookin at is a full size. How do you like yours? I mostly want the RIA because the price is attractive. Plus I'd rather have a GI-style 1911 over one with all the California-bs, lawyer-friendly stuff on it.

Can I ask anyone on here? Is there anything I should know before purchasing a 1911? I don't want to end up getting something I am not going to like. I have shot them and love the feel and look of the gun. Just wondering if there are any FYI's I need to know about before I get one. Thanks.
Don't forget to get your parents permission before you buy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hogger,

Read and listen to the folk on here. My initial impression of the RIA is very positive. Just from the little time with mine I think it makes a nice introduction to the 1911 family and the price is usually on the low end. I'm certain'y asking myself why I didn't get a 1911 earlier

Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Hogger,

Read and listen to the folk on here. My initial impression of the RIA is very positive. Just from the little time with mine I think it makes a nice introduction to the 1911 family and the price is usually on the low end. I'm certain'y asking myself why I didn't get a 1911 earlier
Here, here....

Even tho I own two Colts and a Kimber, I have purchased a RIA government clone for my stepson. We took it to the range and gave it a work out, about 500 rounds worth. The pistol functioned flawlessly, was accurate and he couldn't be happier.