Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Thoughts on Kimber, Dan Wesson, and Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

And don't forget Sig Sauer's 1911 lineup.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat a couple months ago, I went with the Colt. Reason being all being fine pistols, although I don't like that Dan Wesson has shot up so much in price, everyone should have a Pony in there stable!!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

Liked 854 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Please do yourself a favor and forget Kimber. Lousy CS and an even lousier 1 year warranty. Why buy a gun with a 1 year warranty when SA has a fantastic custom shop and a life time warranty. Plus in my lousy opinion a 1911 doesn't have an external extractor so that eliminates the Sig line. DW makes a great gun but not sure about the price increase a little while ago. They were a good bargain not so much now though they make a very good gun. Colt started it all and had some issues a few years ago but seems to have got the message and quality is up. Your choice but I would buy a RIA, Metro Arms, or any number of guns before Kimber. I wish they offered a lifetime warranty as they make several great looking models though over priced. I would get another one if they did if I found a good deal.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 11-28-2012 at 11:05 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #14

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer6 View Post
everyone should have a Pony in there stable!!
Agreed! I just think it should be a revolver instead of an auto.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

image-3560252586.jpg

Here is my pony. A reason they are still on the top of most peoples non-custom list. I love this 1911

Last edited by jailer6; 11-29-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My carry pistol is a Kimber Pro Carry II and I like it fine. However, I did have it gone through by a great 1911 gunsmith for a reliability tune.
What does a reliability tune" consist of? I have two Kimbers (5" Custom CDP II and 3" Ultra TLE II) that I've been having problems with. Selling is such a hassle so I'm wondering if tuneups would do the trick. There is a local gunsmith who has worked on my FAL rifle and he did a great job. I just need to know what to request for said tuneup. Thanks.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #17

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
What does a reliability tune" consist of? I have two Kimbers (5" Custom CDP II and 3" Ultra TLE II) that I've been having problems with. Selling is such a hassle so I'm wondering if tuneups would do the trick. There is a local gunsmith who has worked on my FAL rifle and he did a great job. I just need to know what to request for said tuneup. Thanks.
From John Harrison's operation:
1911 Function Reliability Tune Up

The purpose of the Function Reliability Tune Up is to make minor adjustments and corrections to the pistol so that it smoothly and flawlessly chambers, fires, extracts and ejects every round, when fed quality ammo from good magazines as well as to inspect for potential problems. I recommend that the work below be repeated on some regular basis on high use guns.

Every pistol should have the steps listed below taken to assure correct functioning and safe operation. In addition some pistols need additional work done (not included in the cost of the Function Reliability Tune Up), such as lowering the ejection port (most pistols made over the last 15 years already have “lowered” ports), re-crowning the barrel (not all factory crowns are bad), polishing the slide bore or rails on exceptionally rough guns, machining the clearance cut in the frame bridge, detenting the slide stop, and other miscellaneous work, such as tuning to run a particular ammo or installing an extended ejector. Because not every gun needs or every customer wants these additional jobs done, I treat these jobs on a “as needed, ala Carte” basis. I currently charge $60.00 for the following work.

1) Inspect pistol for operation of safeties to verify correct function, fit of barrel & slide, correct operation of fire control mechanism, looseness of sights, plunger tube and grip screw bushings.

2) Detail strip pistol, clean, dry and inspect all parts for damage, wear, rough surfaces and incorrectly done modifications (such as over polished feed ramp, etc.)

3) Make the following modifications and adjustments:
Breech Face:
Measure width & correct if tight
Polish surface of face and sides
Deburr firing pin hole

Chamber:
Check for correct headspace
Finish ream to clean the walls and cut leade
Polish chamber
Polish feed ramp on frame and barrel

Extractor:
Cut correct radii on claw and polish
Check engagement depth (“spring”) and adjust as required
Test and adjust tension

Slide stop:
Check and adjust fit as needed to assure proper slide lock back with empty gun
Check and adjust for possible causes of premature slide lock

Barrel:
Inspect crown and locking lugs, inspect link pin and stake if loose

Frame:
Check for frame bridge relief cut

Springs:
Test weight of recoil spring and replace if needed with correct weight spring
Inspect and replace any other springs as needed

4) Assemble and lubricate pistol, bench test function with dummy ammo

5) Test fire to verify proper function
IMHO I would add the following from Clark Custom Guns's operation;
A 1911 Reliability Package (1911-RELI) includes throating the barrel and polishing the feed ramp, lowering the ejection port (already done on many current models), tuning the extractor and ejector, tuning one (1) magazine*, and function testing. Additional magazines can be included at additional cost. It is very important that the magazine be included in this package. We find that 90% of "gun trouble" is really "magazine trouble".* Reliability Package is included with all Accuracy Jobs.
*emphasis added - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
bleak23 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
From John Harrison's operation: <major snip>
Thanks, Mr Cane. It appears as though John is not taking on "small jobs" right now. But I've printed your post and will take it with me to the local.

Quote:
At the present, I am not accepting small jobs, other than installation of Harrison Design sights and trigger jobs utilizing Harrison Design ignition parts, so I can concentrate on my waiting list of full-house customs. I hope to return to normal full service in the future, but estimate it may be 2014 or later. Please check back often to see my current status.
http://www.harrisoncustom.com/News.aspx

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Am I missing something?
For what a decent 1911 costs, there should be no need for it to be sent out for work to make it "reliable."
If it gives you a warm fuzzy to send it out for "tuning," great, but it should not be a requirement for it to work correctly.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
bleak23 Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #20

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
Thanks, Mr Cane. It appears as though John is not taking on "small jobs" right now. But I've printed your post and will take it with me to the local.
Did you try Jim Clark Jr? He's one of the best. (and see answer below)

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Am I missing something?
For what a decent 1911 costs, there should be no need for it to be sent out for work to make it "reliable."
If it gives you a warm fuzzy to send it out for "tuning," great, but it should not be a requirement for it to work correctly.
I would consider having reliability work done only on a carry gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
bleak23 Likes This