thoughts on first 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > thoughts on first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg
I have deceided to purchase my first 1911 ....I want a basic, reliable shooter .Im leaning towards the para ord. gi expert .45 .This pistol has a few extras ,but is in my price range $500.00 ....yalls thoughts and opinions on this or other pistols ,springfield ,taurus ,new remington r1 etc ....
Para is a excellent choice, they have a one piece feed ramp, huge extractor, and well built. Springfield Armory are a great choice for a 1911 pistol, I have 2 and wouldn't swap or sell them. One key thing, make sure you shoot about 500 rounds to break it in, then you'll have fun with it. I would stay away from Kimber, they are over rated.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had a para GI expert and was not happy with it. Had fail to feeds every time i took i out, about 1 every 100 rounds even with wilson combat mags, day 1 right out of the box was able to push the slide lock leaver out without havin to line up the notch, the whole gun felt loose, didnt like the poly grips or trigger, the finsh was cheap and started to wear on the edges right away, and the slide said made in Canada on it.. Was not happy with the Para at all traded it for a used P97 and $50. I even remeber tellin Bear i didnt think i buy anouther 1911 after that leavin a bad taste in my mouth for the platform but then Ruger came out with one and well it bein a Ruger i had to have it and couldn't be happier with it...I Say spend a little more and get the Ruger SR1911 but i know not everyone is as die hard Ruger as I am so my second sugestion would be a Springfield

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Considering Cane's knowledge of the 1911, I'd say this is very sound advice.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26
I have had a para GI expert and was not happy with it. Had fail to feeds every time i took i out, about 1 every 100 rounds even with wilson combat mags, day 1 right out of the box was able to push the slide lock leaver out without havin to line up the notch, the whole gun felt loose, didnt like the poly grips or trigger, the finsh was cheap and started to wear on the edges right away, and the slide said made in Canada on it.. Was not happy with the Para at all traded it for a used P97 and $50. I even remeber tellin Bear i didnt think i buy anouther 1911 after that leavin a bad taste in my mouth for the platform but then Ruger came out with one and well it bein a Ruger i had to have it and couldn't be happier with it...I Say spend a little more and get the Ruger SR1911 but i know not everyone is as die hard Ruger as I am so my second sugestion would be a Springfield
I had a para CCW, it never jammed, misfed, or for that matter of accuracy it didn't miss. Even out the box it was great, but I do agree, it did feel a little loose, I did not like the plastic grips, and the finish could have been a little smoother and even. I will say it did keep up when I shot it brand new out of the box again a friend (former army) shooting my Springfield 1911 loaded A1. I like para, but Sig, Springfield, and Glock are my favorite. Springfields are very good, awesome. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #15

I have a Sprinfield TRP, a S&W PD and a Sig Raptor. If I was forced to pick one I would pick the TRP. Keeping in mind that every one of the are excellent when it comes to performance. The biggest difference is the price. The TRP will hit your wallet pretty hard. But if you are choosing a side arm as a member of a SWAT team you can't beat it. The S&W is light on the wallet but yet it shoots and handles very well. I've had the Sig for about a month now. I've been putting it through some pretty tough tests at the range and I must say..... I am very impressed with it. Remember, you get what you pay for.

God Bless