thoughts on colt xse - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > thoughts on colt xse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
My only thoughts are where can I actually find one for sale. I see Colt 1911's in gun stores about as often as I see Bigfoot.
my lgs has maybe 1-2 a month. they never sit more than a day or two. i got damn lucky with my colt stainles lw xse commander i was in the store when the ups guy brought in the gun shipment so i hung around to see what the new toys were and snagged it soon as it came out of the shipping box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I think that speaks to their quality. People buy them fast and hold onto them, maybe?
yes and colt doesnt make a lot of them as they get a pretty good going over before they go out the door. the colt has the least amount of mim parts of any production level 1911 and none of them are critical to the function of the firearm. everything critical is machined billet. one of the reasons the production level is a lot lower than ruger or sw or sig or kimber or ri or sa etc. colt could prolly tag on 200-300 more to the price and still be a fair deal.

colt also doesnt play exclusive distributor monkey business like a lot of other companies do. pretty much whoever orders gets em

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-08-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #22

Liked 931 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 680

I love the Colt XSE myself and am a Colt fanboy I guess. Having said that Colt seems to be pushing more of there guns out the door as more are showing up on gunbroker and other places. It also seems quality is sarting to slip a little bit. Frames being cut off center and finishes not up to par. I hope they are noticing and rectify the situation. Having said that my next 1911 will be a Colt XSE.

Finish is incomplete on this one along with the end of the gun crooked. This is a brand new gun sent back from a gun store.

USMC 74-78

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #23

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I purchased a Colt combat commander xse this past Fall,the fit and finish is excellent.
With nearly 1000 rounds through the pistol I have had zero malfunctions. I liked it so much the day I picked up the xse commander I ordered a Colt Gold Cup and have been happy with both Colts.

IMO the enhanced xse pistols are a good purchase.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I tell people this for what it's worth.

I've had 3 Colt 1911's, 2 series 80 guns and 1 series 70 gun. I've sold the two series 80 guns and kept the series 70. None made it to five thousand rounds without a significant parts failure of some kind that prevented the pistol from functioning as a pistol. Series 80 #1 had the front sight come off. Series 80 #2 had a spring failure, and the Series 70 had an extractor failure. All were current production as of when they were purchased and all were purchased brand new and had no apparent defective or incorrectly installed parts.

I either have bad luck or the ability of the pistol to maintain function is not what it could be. I have never abused any of my firearms and all were well-maintained. I fixed the problems as they occurred and I do mean I, not a gunsmith. Accept that if you purchase a Colt 1911 you also need the tools and knowledge to maintain it.

Buy spare parts (springs, extractor, firing pin, tools and gauges) and invest in some of the excellent gunsmithing manuals the detail how to maintain and replace wear parts on the pistol.

It's not a bad pistol, but reality is that if you shoot it a lot you need replacement parts and tools and/or a good gunsmith.

All three pistols had superb accuracy, good triggers, and good but not excellent function. If you shoot 1911's a lot, there's a noticeable difference between a Series 70 and Series 80, but it does not inhibit accurate shooting or fast follow-up shots.

I've switched to 9MM in recent years because I can't afford to blow through 500+ rounds a week like I used to. Kids, cars, mortgage, major medical, and other stuff that gets in the way of the important stuff in life, like guns and shooting.

If you decide to buy one anyway:
1. Shoot the crap out of it
2. If it breaks, fix it (and if possible do this yourself so you understand how/why things work the way they do)
3. See point #1