Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Thoughts on the Chiappa Firearms 1911-22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/thoughts-chiappa-firearms-1911-22-a-34864/)

theferg2000 11-28-2010 03:38 AM

Thoughts on the Chiappa Firearms 1911-22
 
I was at the gun show today, and needing a big 22 for plinking and to help train my brother in law and his fiance (that is afraid of guns, but wanting to learn and get her CCDW). So i came across a new Chiappa Firearms 1911-22 for a little over $200.

I picked it up,and took them to the range this afternoon. It did great, was accurate, and served it's purpose well. It had problems chambering the cheap .22s, but not a single issue with the high velocity stuff. ANyone know of a good cheap high velocity .22 that would work well in this gun, or just any general info at all? I will get some pics up of it.

JonM 11-28-2010 03:54 AM

unfortunately with 22lr even the exact same model only 1 digit different will sometimes like one brand better than another. best way to figure it out is buy several liekly brands in 50 round boxes and try it. its just the nature of shooting 22lr. for training i like to use 22 lr ammo that has trouble and mixed in with the good stuff so i never really know when a failure happens. really helps on the clearing drill.

theferg2000 11-28-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 393100)
for training i like to use 22 lr ammo that has trouble and mixed in with the good stuff so i never really know when a failure happens. really helps on the clearing drill.

Thanks for the tip. With the cheap stuff, it did not chamber even once (was a cheap box of 500 that did fine when i used my Walther p22), so it will likely guarantee a failure for drills.

kenhesr 11-28-2010 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=JonM;393100] its just the nature of shooting 22lr.

Yep! I have several weapons that will only run 100% with CCI Mini Mags. I've always thought it was the weight of the slide/bolt or a little too much spring resistance not allowing them to cycle hard enough, (short stroking).

My two S&W MP15-22 rifles, Kimber 1911 .22lr conversion unit and CZ-22 Ar15 upper only like Mini Mags.

Everything else runs great with Federal bulk ammo. Hope you have more patience than I do. I finally gave up and run the pricey Mini Mags in the ones that like it. Good luck with the new weapon, Ken

theferg2000 11-28-2010 10:29 AM

[quote=kenhesr;393200]
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 393100)
its just the nature of shooting 22lr.

Yep! I have several weapons that will only run 100% with CCI Mini Mags. I've always thought it was the weight of the slide/bolt or a little too much spring resistance not allowing them to cycle hard enough, (short stroking).

My two S&W MP15-22 rifles, Kimber 1911 .22lr conversion unit and CZ-22 Ar15 upper only like Mini Mags.

Everything else runs great with Federal bulk ammo. Hope you have more patience than I do. I finally gave up and run the pricey Mini Mags in the ones that like it. Good luck with the new weapon, Ken

I was using the mini mags when all went well. You hit the nail on the head, that is why i was hoping to find something similar that would not be so expensive. For my purpose, plinking is all i will use it for, so that is not exactly the plinking price i hoped for. I did read that someone said to get about 500 rounds through it and it will perform better. So i guess i will get to it and post back on what i find. I think you're right about it being the weight of the slide. It is a big gun for a .22. I also am starting to look into the GSG 1911. Don't think i will buy it any time soon, but i hear that Chiappa has a pretty good customer service. The site advertises it as a good plinking gun, and if you have to put through the high priced stuff, then that kills the deal for me. Don't know that they will be THAT good of customer service (refund due to failing on cheap ammo).

Anyone know anything about the GSG 1911 for plinking? It is a bit more expensive, but would be worth it to me (and the price difference would pay for itself if it was)

Jay 11-28-2010 11:09 AM

As a retired toolmaker, the GSG is hands-down, the best workmanship of what's currently offered. The barrel is pinned, and screwed to the frame, but is easily removable for cleaning There's a good review of the gun here.... Review: GSG 1911 - INGunOwners You can see on the pic of the right side, the barrel pin, the slide stop pin (in the middle) and the barrel retaining screw. The gun has very close to the same weight, feel, and balance of a full sized 1911, and the controls are in exactly the same place. I ran 550 rounds thru it without cleaning it, with two failures to fire, and those were good firing pin strikes, but the rounds did not fire. (bulk pak ammo) Accuracy was good, 2" groups at 30 feet off of sandbags. The pistol handled high velocity (Fed bulk pak) as well as standard velocity (Wolf Match Target) with no issues.

Take down tools and chamber brushes are provided. For those who are so inclined, the barrel is threaded for a suppressor, and comes with a thread protector.

80% of the parts interchange...

Barrel Bushing
Front & Rear Site
Hammer
Trigger
Grip Safety
the Whole Main Spring Housing
Thumb Safety
Sear
Disconnector
Sear Spring
Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
Mag Release
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Plunger Tube
Plunger Spring

I have NOT tried to interchange all these parts... just sayin'.... this is hearsay from a stocking dealer.

007BondJamesBond007 11-28-2010 11:46 AM

I had good luck with the Wally World Federal 550 bulk pack. It said high velocity on the box. We shot the stuff from a Ruger target pistol and it put a 1' grouping from a Ransom rest. I do have a Marlin 795 that didn't like the stuff when new but after putting 500-1,000 rounds through it it loosened up. I was surprised it did better than the Ealy target loads.

PTsouthpaw 11-28-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 (Post 393224)
I had good luck with the Wally World Federal 550 bulk pack. It said high velocity on the box. We shot the stuff from a Ruger target pistol and it put a 1' grouping from a Ransom rest. I do have a Marlin 795 that didn't like the stuff when new but after putting 500-1,000 rounds through it it loosened up. I was surprised it did better than the Ealy target loads.

+1 on the Federal Bulk pack. I have one gun that prefers this ammunition, even to more expensive options like Mini-Mags. Like others have said, try a variety, see what your gun likes.

theferg2000 11-28-2010 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JamesBond007 and PTsouthpaw - thanks for the info on the ammo. I will try it and let you know.

Jay thanks for such a great review, and great info. Man why couldn't you have called and warned me before. I mean to i need to start running all my thoughts by the forum BEFORE i do something? Where's the initiative :D ???

Almost forgot my pic. Not the best - used my phone.

JonM 11-28-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theferg2000 (Post 393256)
I mean to i need to start running all my thoughts by the forum BEFORE i do something? Where's the initiative :D ???

its always good to get opinions. long as you dont base your decisions solely on what someone else says. i ask for opinions from time to time and what i look for is things i didnt think to look at. if what i see in a product jives with other people's opinions then i got an answer.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.