Thoughts about STI Double Stack?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Thoughts about STI Double Stack?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 29
Default Thoughts about STI Double Stack?

I've really liked the triggers on the 1911s that I've fired, but there's something about the single stack that has kept me away. 1911's are fantastic, but there's a reason Browning went on to create the doublestack. It was a serious step forward. Maybe think of it this way: If the only handguns people owned were 1911s then no one would care about the CA magazine size law.

So I just ran across the STI double stack '2011'. (STI Guns) I'm thinking of buying one, but it will have to be without firing at a range ahead of time. I'll have to drive a couple of hours just to get to a dealer that stocks them.

I'm happy to pay $2000 for a gun; but I'll be annoyed if I pay $2000 for a gun I don't like. Any hands on experience and comments? Comparisons to other single stack 1911's? If I like a 1911, am I going to like the STI doublestack?

__________________
BarryNiven is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DallasShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 59
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNiven
I've really liked the triggers on the 1911s that I've fired, but there's something about the single stack that has kept me away. 1911's are fantastic, but there's a reason Browning went on to create the doublestack. It was a serious step forward. Maybe think of it this way: If the only handguns people owned were 1911s then no one would care about the CA magazine size law.

So I just ran across the STI double stack '2011'. (STI Guns) I'm thinking of buying one, but it will have to be without firing at a range ahead of time. I'll have to drive a couple of hours just to get to a dealer that stocks them.

I'm happy to pay $2000 for a gun; but I'll be annoyed if I pay $2000 for a gun I don't like. Any hands on experience and comments? Comparisons to other single stack 1911's? If I like a 1911, am I going to like the STI doublestack?
Some people like single stacks, some like double stacks and some don't care. I have one double stack gun (a Bersa 9) and while I like it I'd have to say that I almost always prefer a single stack. They simply fit my hand better. I once thought I'd like a Berretta 92 - until I actually held one. Didn't fit me and didn't like the feel.

It would be a serious mistake to think than Browning improved on the 1911 by creating a double stack 9mm in the Browning Hi Power. Browning submitted a design based on the criteria he was given - he was commissioned by FN to design a 9mm with capacity of at least 10 rounds and magazine disconnect. He provided a design that was radically modified by another designer two years after Brownings death. Although the Hi Power is a great gun, it was never intended by Browning as a replacement for the 1911.

STI makes great guns s but I've never owned one, and they are known for their double stack versions of the 1911. I doubt you would be disappointed.
__________________
DallasShooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JohnJak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Orion/Oxford,Mi
Posts: 345
Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Would you buy a car without test driving it first?

__________________
JohnJak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,071
Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

I had an early 2011 and loved it. I have much larger than average hands and it felt perfect to me. I sold it when my agency stopped leting me carry it so it did not seem to make sense to keep it.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
Would you buy a car without test driving it first?
No, but that does not seem to be how the gun business works. There are lots of gun stores that don't have a range attached. Ranges tend to have the 'standard stuff' available for rent. Glocks, S&W, Springfield Armory, some random 1911.

Given that I can't find a range that has one to rent, I'm not sure what the choices are. Buy it without shooting it in advance or don't buy it seem to be the choices.
__________________
BarryNiven is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I had an early 2011 and loved it. I have much larger than average hands and it felt perfect to me. I sold it when my agency stopped leting me carry it so it did not seem to make sense to keep it.
How did you feel it felt compared to a 1911 of the same general size? Were they similar? (I also have larger than average hands; so that's really good info.)
__________________
BarryNiven is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
where to buy G19 double stack kydex mag holder .. Sh00tnButt Glock Forum 8 12-15-2010 10:19 PM
Stack Gun Suggestions WoodysKJ General Shotgun Discussion 2 10-31-2010 05:24 PM
Nighthawk Joins the Double Stack Ranks Dillinger 1911 Forum 7 05-25-2010 11:13 PM
.460 Rowland - Double Stack Possible? ccginc DIY Projects 27 08-10-2009 10:29 PM
single stack to double herp_man2003 AK & SKS Discussion 6 05-20-2009 04:57 AM