Thompson/AO/Kahr 1911...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Thompson/AO/Kahr 1911...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Thompson/AO/Kahr 1911...

I just bought an Auto Ordnance/Thompson 1911 off Gunsamerica. It is the Stainless Custom Model. It is a really nice looking piece of steel. I wasn't exactly "looking" for another 1911, but I'm sure ya'll know how that goes....
I did a bit of research on the net about it. Seems most folks like the post '05 AO 1911's with Kahr. And this one is a post '05. I have not personally picked one of these up at a gun shop. But when I saw the pics of it....I just knew I wanted one. The brushed finish is a fav of mine, and the grips just hit it out of the park....IMO. Any thoughts would be great.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Last edited by LakeshoreShooter; 04-08-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: pic comment
axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

Can't have too many..... Looks straight and simple... nice.

LakeshoreShooter Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yes,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Can't have too many..... Looks straight and simple... nice.
Excellent take. I have a few Colt's and a Springer, and one of them is customized. I think the simple looks on this one is what drew me to it. But it's got the nice basic upgrades you might want. I plan to use it in Single Stack, and CDP in IDPA, so besides the thumb safety, grip safety, I really like the added touch of an extended mag release as factory issue.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Last edited by LakeshoreShooter; 04-09-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: part name error correction...

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great snag!

Let us know how she runs.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Copy that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Great snag!

Let us know how she runs.
Looks like it may arrive tomorrow. Hopefully can get to the range tomorrow as well. I'd like to get a few hundred rounds through it by Fri. afternoon, so I can shoot it at an IDPA match Fri. night.

NRA Life Member

Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

That is a good looking gun. I have been looking for a stainless 1911 myself. Do you mind if I ask what it set you back?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Not much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
That is a good looking gun. I have been looking for a stainless 1911 myself. Do you mind if I ask what it set you back?
First off, my FFL received the pistol today, but was unable to do the transfer today. Man, I hate that! So I will pick it up tomorrow and plan to take it to the range and give it a "right out of the box" test. Picks and results posted tomorrow aft./evening.
Rick1967: I dropped $770 for it, shipped. My FFL charges $25 for transfers, so total paid is $795. I can't really tell you yet, whether or not it is a good deal. But I plan on putting 200-300 rounds through it tomorrow....so we'll see.

NRA Life Member

Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very nice looking pistol. the brushed finish is very attractive too.

if she runs good, i would say, it's a dang good price indeed. anxious to hear and update after you shoot it.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, as luck would have it (been a weird week) I had to pick up my son from school with a fever. He was pretty sick, so I missed out on the range today. But I did pick it up, however. And since I had nothing to do while my son took a nap, I decided to clean the new pistol. First of, it came in a standard black plastic case. The pistol was in a large baggie, and very oily. They spared no expense on keeping this 1911 oiled up. Save for seeing how she performs at the range (tomorrow for sure....I hope), I am very impressed with the fit and finish. I found no machine marks, burs, or other little glitches. This is a very well made pistol. I am really liking this girl!! I supplied some pics below, and hopefully you can see how nicely made these Thompson (Kahr Arms) 1911's are made. Beautiful gun!! The frame to slide fit is just fantastic. Seriously, there is no play, and slides like a new Les Baer. Damn fine pistol (so far....need that range report. But I feel she will shine) for $770 (before shipping)!!

NRA Life Member

Last edited by LakeshoreShooter; 04-12-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey all. Got to the range yesterday afternoon. I don't usually go to this range, and it's a bit spartan to what I am used to. Basically a picnic table and a berm. I was in a hurry and forgot to grab targets (this truly was a bad week). anyway, the Thompson performed as I hoped it would. I had 150 rounds of my reloads. Those were 230gr. Zero HP bullets. These are chronoed at 850fps. One of my favorite loads. There were no failures at all. I didn't have a lot of time for this trip. But will go again to my usual range tomorrow, and will take pics of targets and such. I know this isn't much, but thought I'd post it anyway.

NRA Life Member