Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > thinking of getting a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I just got a Taurus PT1911 Stainless for $600 delivered.
Put 300 rounds thru it at the range 1st time out without so much as a hiccup.
Comes with Novak sights and some extras that you usually have to pay extra for.
Seems like a great gun so far. I did swap out the ambi-safety for an STI left hand safety and put Pachmayr's on it.
Despite the Taurus basher's comments, I love it.

(What would John Moses Browning do?)

Last edited by funnyrunner; 11-04-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good looking 1911. Let's see a range report!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #13

[QUOTE=canebrake;181850]Good looking 1911. Let's see a range report!

Took it to the range and ran 300 rounds of hardball through it. Didn't have any hollow points since I carry hardball and Corbon Power-ball mixed.

It came with 2 Taurus factory mags and I had 3 Chip McCormick 8 rd mags. I've read that some of the factory mags are hit-or-miss on functioning but mine worked great.
No problems with FTF's or FTE's. Every round went in and went bang when I squeezed the trigger. Extraction & ejection was nice and clean with all the brass landing in a 2 ft circle off to my right rear at about the 5 o'clock area.

At the 7, 10, and 15 yard line, all rounds stayed within a 3" circle with rapid fire. That's pretty good for me since my 58 yr old eyes just see a blurr when looking at the sights. I follow Jeff Copper's advice and put the front sight on the target and squeeze the trigger. It comes standard with Novak 3 dot sights btw.

It came with am ambi-safety but I've read that they are prone to breakage so I swapped it out for the STI left-hand safety. On removing the ambi-safety, I could see that the joint between left and right halves might be prone to stress somewhere down the line. The STI safety works great.

At 25 yards, all rounds stayed in a nice grouping in the middle of the face or lower sternum, depending on where I which I was aiming at. Again, not bad for me. The gun is capable of shooting much better than I am these days but it does what I want so I am happy.

I'm not saying it's the best 1911 around but for $600 and the extras that the factory provides, it sure beats the Kimber for $1300 or the Springfield Armory for $900 in my book. I got the stainless model, put the Pachmayr's on it and love it. The bluing that Taurus uses is not near as good as the other brands but the stainless is just as good.

Anyone looking for a really nice 1911 that you don't have to get new out of the box and then have a smithy make additions to it before it is ready to run should take a closer look at the Taurus Stainless model. Bud's has them for a really nice price btw. I am sure there are probably pistols just as good for $600 and I am happy for anyone that gets any pistol but I am extremely happy with the one I got.

004.jpg  

(What would John Moses Browning do?)

Last edited by funnyrunner; 11-04-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i got my new gun i did not get the 1911 i got a taurus pt 24/7 oss

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnyder88 View Post
i got my new gun i did not get the 1911 i got a taurus pt 24/7 oss
You messed up then.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmillenia View Post
A few extra touches! Yeah like replacing all the MIM parts inside...about 300 bucks...I'm such a fanatic! for light range use and home protection, the Springfield is a great gun. And yes, get the mil-spec.
MIM parts being problematic is an internet myth. I've got a Kimber with about 12k-15k rounds through it without a hiccup, malfunction or breakage of any components. I've never even thought of replacing them with machined parts.

MIM eliminates residual stressed left over from forging and machining. MIM parts are now being used in aircraft, so they can't be that horrible.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

i have a Springfield 1911-A1 the only parts i have changed is the trigger itself with an extended trigger and the wood grips for pachmyar rubber panels.

i have put about maybe 6 or 7k rounds through it and its a great shooter. i liek the three dot fixed sights its got. it rattles a bit but it doesnt seem to affect the accuracy or function.

if i want to target shoot against someone its the gun i go for.

Last edited by JonM; 11-05-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: SP correction

Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
MIM parts being problematic is an internet myth. I've got a Kimber with about 12k-15k rounds through it without a hiccup, malfunction or breakage of any components. I've never even thought of replacing them with machined parts.

MIM eliminates residual stressed left over from forging and machining. MIM parts are now being used in aircraft, so they can't be that horrible.
I don't know about myths and I do appreciate the science of MIM and the uses in aerospace etc. I can only confirm that I have personally experienced what I would describe critical breakages on various 1911 pistols over the years. Fortunately they have occurred at the range.
1: Springfield Armory 1911 disconnector
2: Kimber 1911 safety selector
3: (Another) Springfield armory 1911 hammer

Everytime parts were replaced with quality (Wilson, Ed Brown) forged parts and no further problem. Granted, any part can fail but I'll go with experience every time.
Hill

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #19

Default 1911

My first 1911 was a taurus pt 1911 ar. great weapon for the money. ive shot kimber, wilson combat, many customs. the taurus shoot just as nice as the hight dollar 1911's. ya that u cant go wrong with a taurus pt 1911. love mine and am gonna get another one. def worth checking out.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You messed up then.
agreed....