Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Thinking About Selling All of My 1911s in 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I totally agree. 45ACP sucks. Please send them to me so that I can dispose of them properly.:-)

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #52

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Not saying it sucks. Just that it no longer impresses me.

I've actually sold all my 45s except the Taurus locally. I still have a lot of 45 reloads that I need to shoot up and I will probably keep the Taurus to use for fitting grips to. I won't feel bad for getting sawdust all over it in the shop.

But that said, I just finished designing every feature on a 10mm that I am going to have made by Fusion. 26 weeks from now, I should have some photos. I don't quite have the funds for a matching one in 9mm yet. But maybe in the near future.

Last edited by Olympus; 06-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #53

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Cane has been MIA lately.
He's off somewhere hunting hogs...but he will feel the disturbance in The Force.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Chainsaw,
Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it.

No trouble shooting my .45's yet, but while I am working my part-time job at a LGS/Shooting range I am just planning ahead while I still buy at dealers cost + a little.

Besides, I want a new toy, I've been a very good boy after all!

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
There's no way I'm dropping the 10mm. And there's really no way that a 45, let a alone a 40, can perform like a 10mm. Just not possible.
Yeah they can, I'm just trying to save you some dough. Oh the other hand I know what it's like to want something, usually I stop at nothing to get it even if later on I realize I may have been a bit hasty in my decision making.

Logically, there isn't anything a 10mm will do, or kill if you will, that the .40 or .45 won't kill just as dead. A 250gr .45 even running at a mere 900 fps will shoot end to end through a deer, black bear or hog, while punching a bigger hole that the 10mm will.

The .40 can get within 100-150 fps of it, I have no issues shooting a 180gr .40 at 1300 fps from a ~5" barrel. If that's not 10mm performance I'll pay for lying.

But I ain't telling you what to do, it's your money. But seriously, I hope you have a good stock of 10mm brass, try finding any right now, it's not easy.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45BBH View Post
Logically, there isn't anything a 10mm will do, or kill if you will, that the .40 or .45 won't kill just as dead. A 250gr .45 even running at a mere 900 fps will shoot end to end through a deer, black bear or hog, while punching a bigger hole that the 10mm will.

The .40 can get within 100-150 fps of it, I have no issues shooting a 180gr .40 at 1300 fps from a ~5" barrel. If that's not 10mm performance I'll pay for lying.

But I ain't telling you what to do, it's your money. But seriously, I hope you have a good stock of 10mm brass, try finding any right now, it's not easy.
I really think you've got some misinformation and I'm going to try to be polite in pointing it out.

1. The comment about the .45 at 900fps going end to end through a deer, black bear, or hog might be realistic at a distance UNDER 25 yards. After that, you're losing too much velocity and the bullet is dropping too much to be effective on anything expect possibly the smallest of deer. Black bear and hogs are easily out of the question. 10mm shoots faster and flatter, so you've increased your ballistics along with your effective range. That's not something that the .45 or .40 can not do. So that's just one aspect of what the 10mm can do better than the .45 and .40.

2. Put both calibers at their top limit with the same grain bullet and the .40 definitely does NOT come within 100-150fps of the 10mm. Make it an apples to apples comparison and you'll see the difference.

3. I'd be interested to see a chrono photo of your 180gr .40 bullet going 1300fps. Double Tap is saying that same round is only capable of 1140fps. And Buffalo Bore +P is only at 1100fps. Maximum velocity for the 180gr JHP .40 bullet in my Lyman reloading manual shows 1049fps using True Blue powder. Not saying that you're lying, just saying that I'd have to see it to believe it. Pretty sure you'd be operating outside SAAMI pressure at that velocity too. That's just not an apples to apples comparison to the 10mm. Within SAAMI specs, using the same bullet at the very top end of the spectrum, there is just no way that a .40 can come within 100-150fps of the 10mm.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #57

The Fusion has just been ordered. 10mm Pro Series, no front cocking serrations, flat top slide with fancy fine serrations with reveal, Bo-Mar target rear sight, green fiber optic front sight, flush cut barrel with target crown, tool steel internals, trigger job with under 3.5lbs trigger, serrations on the rear of the slide under the rear sight, checkered front strap, undercut trigger guard, and magwell. The gun will be all stainless with a forged slide and frame. The stripped frame will be black IonBond with natural stainless slide and small parts for a reverse two-tone scheme.

It wasn't cheap, but I designed every aspect of the gun to my preference and taste and you can't put a price on that. Should be completed in 6 months.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #58

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
The Fusion has just been ordered. 10mm Pro Series, no front cocking serrations, flat top slide with fancy fine serrations with reveal, Bo-Mar target rear sight, green fiber optic front sight, flush cut barrel with target crown, tool steel internals, trigger job with under 3.5lbs trigger, serrations on the rear of the slide under the rear sight, checkered front strap, undercut trigger guard, and magwell. The gun will be all stainless with a forged slide and frame. The stripped frame will be black IonBond with natural stainless slide and small parts for a reverse two-tone scheme.

It wasn't cheap, but I designed every aspect of the gun to my preference and taste and you can't put a price on that. Should be completed in 6 months.
Jealous. What was the price tag? if you don't mind me asking.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #59

Right at $2400 shipped. I got a little bit of a discount for being a FFL.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

DANG! I'm just waiting to see a deal on the RIA 10mm. I am jealous here.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.