Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Taurus or Springfield Armory?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022
Obviously Springfield over Taurus but for someone to walk in here and call them junk is just plain stupid. Kimber also has a bad rep in this forum too which is kinda funny to me since Kimber produces some of the finest handguns made. I personally would think that a bunch of folks who profess to know so much about 1911's could just write Taurus and tell them what they are doing wrong.
It's just personal opinion. That is what this forum is about. It is also what the OP asked for in his opening post.
I can tell you that it is also not just here too (the Taurus opinions - not talking about Kimber). I have personally experienced folks that shoot in all walks in everyday life that have the same opinion of Taurus. I have never owned one, so I cannot speak to whether this is right or not - just saying that it is a rather "common" thing in my opinion.
If Taurus the company is selling guns and making a profit (which they are) then I doubt that they really care to hear these opinions.
Just my .02 cents.....

Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well heres a side by side comparison of the GI Springer vs the GI RIA you be the judge and it's well known that the PT 1911 is of better quality then the RIA also come with all the upgrades.

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=414414

Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #13

Liked 394 Times on 218 Posts

I have both guns in 45 acp. The Taurus looks good and shoots ok. But my mil spec springfield with Wilson combat sights now that's the ticket. Great shooting and just has a great feel to it. I'd take it over my Taurus any and every day. Now this is just my thoughts but I take them both to the range together and just enjoy the springer alot more.

image-892115673.jpg
:/

image-697810180.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some good views and not much different from what I've read on other forums just doing research. So the taurus is out for my first 1911.

I've done some research on Rock Island Armory 1911 and there are some mixed reviews. Seems more like there are just a few lemons made here and there. RIA is one I'm also considering if I can't find a Springfield mil spec.

But what are some opinions on the new Auto ordinance 1911s. I looked at one today and it seemed it was right up there with RIA's. The guy at the LGS told me that they are now owned by kahr. Does anyone know about these?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #15

Yes, Kahr recently purchased both Auto Ordanance and Thompson Arms. Like any company, again, mixed reviews. I might choose the Rock Island just because they seem to be made well and I haven't heard anything negative so far. Even though they wee not made in America.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Please do yourself a favor and get the SA. Taurus is junk in my opinion. The SA guns are what lots of your top gunsmiths prefer to do builds on. Well that and Colts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Obviously Springfield over Taurus but for someone to walk in here and call them junk is just plain stupid. Kimber also has a bad rep in this forum too which is kinda funny to me since Kimber produces some of the finest handguns made. I personally would think that a bunch of folks who profess to know so much about 1911's could just write Taurus and tell them what they are doing wrong.
I think, IMHO, your statement is far more STUPID than limbkiller's because he qualified his comment as opposed to your flat statement of "plain stupid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
And why didn't you call me out on my post?

I have spent years listening to Taurus sob stories AND "I love them" comments. Trust me, the sob stories far outnumber the fan boys by a magnitude.

The members come here for information. It's my job to make sure that this knowledge transfer reflects the FTF established knowledge base.

IN MY OPINION, Taurus is just short of junk. When they drop to junk level, they will go out of business. The only Taurus selling point I ever hear about is their price. I think this reinforces the old saying, "You get what you pay for!"

You Taurus supporters must be exhausted. I think a more efficient use of the energy used defending them would be better spent calling/writing/emailing Taurus to clean up their reputation.

I will never own/recommend a Taurus. There are far better firearm options available to our members. I refuse to participate in a purchase lottery that may result in a failure at the moment of zero defect tolerances. (read: A PD action)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Springfield!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #18

I don't think that the second largest gun manufacturer in the world is going to go out of business, just because you say so doesn't make it so!!!!!!.

I've put 18K rounds through my PT 1911 with out a break in period or any FTF or FTE, I don't have one of those high priced 1911 model but I can't see where those can do anything better then mine, it is a 1911.

And also pretty if I say so myself

I might be collecting stamps but at least I'm not a Taurus snob

Last edited by cuba; 04-19-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #19

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
I don't think that the second largest gun maufactureer in the world is going to go out of buisiness, just because you say so doesn't make it so!!!!!!.

I've put 18K rounds throught my PT 1911 with out a break in period or any FTF or FTE, I don't have one of those high priced 1911 model but I can't see where those can do anything better then mine, it is a 1911.

And also pretty if I say so myself

And another purchase lottery winner.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #20

real condescending, act like a moderator will you