Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Taurus PT 1911's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2664 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

JD, does swapping out parts void any warranties?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I bought two of them. One blued for a friend and a stainless for me. I have shot the crap out of that pistol and it still runs like a champ. I have heard of issues with the ambi safety backing out but if that issue pops up it's easily remedied.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat...For the money you get a great pistol. I see some cost more that will not have the same fit and finish.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
You know, to be honest, I never considered checking because my intent was to build up a platform into a reliable runner without involving them.

The ambi safety is just annoying if you aren't left handed, or don't intend on going all John Woo with a set of them.

The hammer is a known concern in the 1911 community that I first learned about from an old member here. I did some research and decided if I was going to order a single side safety, I might as well order a new hammer too.

I sent off a customer repair request to Taurus C.S. just now to see what they say. Their website claims regardless of owner or time, but excludes grips and sights or "any damage done by customer through abuse".

I'll let you know what they have to say.

JD

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Needless to say that they will not warranty any aftermarket part, but excluding them they will warranty the rest of the pistol, unless the aftermarket parts are found to be the culprit to any found problems.

Taurus will exchange and send you any part for the PT1911 if said part is returned, it is advisable to reinstall the original parts prior to sending the pistol to Miami for repairs, if any of the parts have been altered you do lose the warranty exclusively only for the part in question the rest of every part to the pistol is still warrantied.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I understand that the aftermarket parts may not be in Taurus' warranty, but what about modifications to the firearm in fitting the aftermarket parts?

Would that be the "abuse" they are referring to?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I understand that the aftermarket parts may not be in Taurus' warranty, but what about modifications to the firearm in fitting the aftermarket parts?

Would that be the "abuse" they are referring to?
I think you would have to take case by case, can you be more specific ?

I believe for instance, if you were to blend your frame to an aftermarket grip safeties spec, and then later on the frame was to crack toward the trigger guard it would be determined that the blending did not cause the breakage but poor manufacturing and in that case the frame would be warrantied, but if you have undercut the bottom of the trigger guard, then it would be a different story and I'm sure that they probably won't warranty the frame, but would dim that it was the modification of the frame that caused the failure.

Taurus will usually go over and above their responsibility to accommodate a customer, it is not beyond them to go the extra mile, there was a post on 1911 forum where a customer sent his PT1911 to have the extractor repaired and he expressed the desire to have an extra extractor just in case, and to his surprise when the PT1911 was returned they had included the extra extractor at no extra cost.

Stellar customer service regardless what some in the long past have experienced.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun