Taurus PT 1911??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Taurus PT 1911??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT 1911??

I am looking at buying a taurus 1911 in the next few weeks or so. I am just looking for some input on it. Like has anyone had any major issues like ftf, fte.or parts breaking? I do a lot of shooting so please dont just say that taurus sucks. I carry a taurus PT145 and put 200-400 rounds through it every month that's 2400-4800 a year for the last 3 years. I can count on one hand how many malfunctions it has had.

I am looking for people that have owned or do own one or have first hand experience with one.

If you don't care for it please explain why.
If you have another recommendation on a 1911 for under $600 I would love to hear it.

Thank you in advance for all your help

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have not owned one of the Taurus model 1911's however on 1911 forums and from a few guys who I know owned them. If they had it to do over again they would have gone with Rock Island Armory. It seems its the luck of the draw with Taurus on the 1911. Some are great and people wouldn't trade them for anything. Then there are the people who have had problems with their Taurus and want to get rid of them bad and can't because of the hit or miss problems.
Rock Island has a great gun with good features that is reliable and they will stand behind the gun for the few who do have problems. I have shot the rock island and the buddy of mine who has one has 5k rounds through his and he still swears by it. If it were my money I would lean towards Rock Island.
I'm not a snob I will take any good gun regardless of the stamp of the manufacturer.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty
I have not owned one of the Taurus model 1911's however on 1911 forums and from a few guys who I know owned them. If they had it to do over again they would have gone with Rock Island Armory. It seems its the luck of the draw with Taurus on the 1911. Some are great and people wouldn't trade them for anything. Then there are the people who have had problems with their Taurus and want to get rid of them bad and can't because of the hit or miss problems.
Rock Island has a great gun with good features that is reliable and they will stand behind the gun for the few who do have problems. I have shot the rock island and the buddy of mine who has one has 5k rounds through his and he still swears by it. If it were my money I would lean towards Rock Island.
I'm not a snob I will take any good gun regardless of the stamp of the manufacturer.
I have been looking into the Rock Island also. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

I have a Taurus and haven't had a issue with it yet. I bought it through GT Distributors for around $570. Buddy of mine another well rep 1911 and says he cant really tell the difference in the two pistols. I really enjoy mine and will carry it as soon as I find a holster I like well enough to do so with. For all the options that come with it I think its a great pistol.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been doing some work on my PT1911, from the get-go I wanted to change things, but that's just my personal preferences, not issues with the actual gun itself.

Do you plan to do work on the pistol yourself eventually, or are you just wanting a box-stock 1911 just to have fun with?

Taurus does MIM parts, which admitedly has affect on the trigger pull when it isnt done carefully. My disconnector and hammer had god-awful seams. I cant speak to the newer production guns, since this one is several years old.

With a few aftermarket parts (less than $200) you can make yourself a nice trigger pull and fix the safety issue on the ones with the Ambi safety.

My ambi-thumb-safety keeps coming lose, so I'm swaping it with a new one from C&S.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai
I've been doing some work on my PT1911, from the get-go I wanted to change things, but that's just my personal preferences, not issues with the actual gun itself.

Do you plan to do work on the pistol yourself eventually, or are you just wanting a box-stock 1911 just to have fun with?

Taurus does MIM parts, which admitedly has affect on the trigger pull when it isnt done carefully. My disconnector and hammer had god-awful seams. I cant speak to the newer production guns, since this one is several years old.

With a few aftermarket parts (less than $200) you can make yourself a nice trigger pull and fix the safety issue on the ones with the Ambi safety.

My ambi-thumb-safety keeps coming lose, so I'm swaping it with a new one from C&S.
Yes my plan is to shoot the hell out of it and as I have funds I will be replacing parts .. trigger, sear, hammer, safety.. I was thinking Wilson combat parts. But I can't justify replacing perfectly good parts. So thus the shooting the hell out of it comes into play.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I've had one for a few years now and only had an issue early on where the hammer would follow down. I found it to be a mis-adjusted trigger OT stop screw. I've since heavily modified it and it shoots very well. It's a series 80 type trigger just in case you weren't aware of that. I don't regret the purchase.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I bought a Taurus 1911, once. It was defective right out of the box. That gun was downright dangerous. It had hammer follow. Every time I racked the slide, the hammer dropped. And the firing pin safety was totally non-functional, due to the missing spring. My first thoughts were oh well, anyone can make a bad gun. Then I started dealing with Taurus' horrific customer support dept. Never again.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Taurus 1911. I have had two. The first one was a black one and the finish was too thin for my liking. I traded it for a stainless version and couldn't be happier. Mine has been through some tough times. I've put about 5500 rounds through it and haven't ran into a problem yet. Compared to the RIA, you get the option of the all stainless model, an alloy frame model, and models with rails. Taurus also checkers the front strap, which RIA doesn't. I have owned an Armscor 1911 in the past and I considered the quality to be below the Taurus. I sold the Armscor and still have the Taurus.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #10

Liked 3227 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 422

$.02.
Disclosure: I don't own a PT 1911 or a Rock Island.
I would go with the Rock Island for one reason: IF you do actually have a problem with it, Rock Island Customer Service has a pretty good reputation for making people happy. Taurus, less so.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand