Taurus PT 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Taurus PT 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Taurus PT 1911

Any of you guys own one? If so how do you like it and how much did you pick it up for.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A friend had a 92B-17 for years that was nicer than the Berettas were at the time.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 AM   #3

Default Taurus 1911

Closer to $ 600 the better for base model, more with nite sights or crimson trace laser grips.

NOBODY has all the features for the $$$. Mine shoots everything well.
Needed a little trigger clean up but most 1911's do.

Made in Brazil like the Springfields. Lifetime service via their Shop in Florida.
Finally starting to come in to meet the demand from all Taurus advertising.
Fits a std 1911 holster unlike the Springfields. Rave article in new Handgunner from Clint Smith after 5000 rounds of shooting.

Best buy on the market..next step up would be a S&W 1911.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I had not picked up a Springfield Loaded a few years ago, the Taurus would be high on my list to get. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

I see prices range from $500 to $600 for them, depending on model.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Funny thing is this gun won't even be for me. I've influenced my family enough to where my mom even wanted a gun! Which was surprise to me since she has been kind of anti-gun. She said she liked the looks of the 1911' so I figured she would like this.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Last edited by BLS33; 10-26-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like Taurus guns. I have several. I almost bought a Taurus PT1911, but then my eyes rested on a Para-Ordnance P14.45. It was used, it was there fore, about the same price. I went with that instead.

BUT, if the Para-Ordnance had been NIB, I'd have gone with the Taurus, mostly because of price. I can't afford to put nearly $1000.00 into a gun at my current financial situation.

Still, the Taurus is one beautiful gun, in my opinion. If my income tax return is what I'm hoping for this tax season, I may still get one into my collection.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default My PT1911

I have had my Taurus PT1911 for a while and I like it. There were some issues but nothing I did not expect with an inexpensive gun.

The finish was easily the worst I have ever seen on a production gun; it wore to the bare metal in about a week riding in my Serpa CQC holster. The mainspring housing was oversized significantly and must have required a hammer blow to insert it. It required several hits with a 4# hammer on a brass rod to get it free. I bit of filing and it now fits correctly.

For the finish (since I wanted a stainless version of the gun anyway) it was replaced with Durecoat.
See pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/OldPatriot/Desktop/photo#5140200295867628914

The interesting thing about Duracoat is that now the finish is tougher than the holster and instead of the finish wearing off the holster is wearing at the contact points. I have changed the front sight to orange from the green as the orange is much easier for my old eyes to see.

I said I like the gun and I do. I can easily recommend it to others and because it is inexpensive I have no concern about doing the work on it myself.

New grips are in the works (it will take a few more hours to make them and I may change the slide to a black finish. I would never consider doing this to my Colt as it has now been relegated to the safe. I like carrying this PT1911 and expect to do so for a long time.
It shoots well.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Any of you guys own one? If so how do you like it and how much did you pick it up for.
While I don't own one, I did spend a bit of time handling one at the Shot Show in Vegas both this past year and a year ago. This year they let me field strip it and it's a very good quality 1911. Taurus has the unconditional lifetime warranty, the weapon is all steel with a good fit and finish. For the price, I don't think you can find a better deal on a 1911 in this price range.

D

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I went to buy one of these two weekends ago and I gave it a serious look. As I was wandering the shop considering the buy I looked in the used case and there was a LNIB Springfield GI for $380 - so this one went home with me. The Taurus is still on my list to buy, the price in the store was $549 for blued...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #10

Default new PT 1911 ss

I just bought a PT 1911 ss yesterday for 525.00 new. I always wanted a 1911 and Taurus made that possible . I know all the anti Taurus rhetoric and the this is better than that etc. I did a lot of research and it comes up pt1911 every time as the best buy from reviews which we all know about and individuals.

I have a pt111, pt92 and now PT 1911. I have not fired it yet but if it is like the other Taurus I have it will do great.

I also have a S&W Sigma in 9MM ,Keltec p3at, Keltec pf9, Ruger single six convertible three screw and a Ruger mark 3 22-45. Every one of them is great to shoot for what they are intended for.

I am antsy to get to the range with the 1911. Damn rain as soon as I get the ark done I'll float over and shoot a little

But thats just me
Mike

Last edited by ranger351w; 04-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.