You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Taurus 1911


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 12,012
Liked 4413 Times on 2476 Posts
Likes Given: 2089

Default

Ask if they put a round in the barrel, then allow the slide to go forward.
This will force the extractor to go over the rim of the casing and result in breaking.

Every 1911 should always be fed from the magazine (even if one is loading just one round).
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 495
Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Ask if they put a round in the barrel, then allow the slide to go forward.
This will force the extractor to go over the rim of the casing and result in breaking.

Every 1911 should always be fed from the magazine (even if one is loading just one round).
Not to highjack the thread but get this, Dan....

I had a guy on this forum a while back (maybe a month or two) arguing with me that this was his preferred way to load the 1st round in his 1911.
To put the round in the chamber by hand and then let the slide slam home forcing the extractor over the casing rim. Then he put a full mag in the frame and that was how he got to condition 1.
He was also saying that he was of the opinion that this was why external extractor 1911 guns (such as S&W and Sig) were superior in design to internal extractor made guns. Because he could use his finger to press down on the end of the extractor to "lift it over" the case rim.

After explaining to him that he should load the chamber from the mag and then re-top off, I just bowed out after he got all testy and was saying that I was calling him stupid or something like that. It was wild.

Anyway - enough digression.....
bartwatkins is offline  
danf_fl Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 5,252
Liked 1483 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Default

I own one and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It was inexpensive and provides the same results as much more expensive models. It doesn't feel quite as smooth as a very high end 1911 but it does work.

I have heard a good number of complaints about Taurus customer service so maybe that is where some of the reputation comes from?
__________________
"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson
"Do stupid things, win stupid prizes"
Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 12,012
Liked 4413 Times on 2476 Posts
Likes Given: 2089

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
Not to highjack the thread but get this, Dan....

I had a guy on this forum a while back (maybe a month or two) arguing with me that this was his preferred way to load the 1st round in his 1911.
To put the round in the chamber by hand and then let the slide slam home forcing the extractor over the casing rim. Then he put a full mag in the frame and that was how he got to condition 1.
He was also saying that he was of the opinion that this was why external extractor 1911 guns (such as S&W and Sig) were superior in design to internal extractor made guns. Because he could use his finger to press down on the end of the extractor to "lift it over" the case rim.

After explaining to him that he should load the chamber from the mag and then re-top off, I just bowed out after he got all testy and was saying that I was calling him stupid or something like that. It was wild.

Anyway - enough digression.....
JMB was a lot smarter than me. IMO, loading a round in the chamber should be duplicated like when the firearm is being fired. And during firing, it loads from the magazine. This allows the casing to slide under the extractor.
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

image-850582381.jpg





image-1256604569.jpg



I'm looking forward to buying one of these two PT1911 in the next month or two. Can't wait.
image-2452067039.jpg  

Last edited by rickster; 04-18-2013 at 09:18 PM.
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
If you replace the parts, I'll take them off of your hands.
I'll message you and let you know when I get things changed out.
epleyjoseph is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 432 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post

I'm looking forward to buying one of these two PT1911 in the next month or two. Can't wait.
That gun is the third picture with the wood grips? Pretty sure that's not a Taurus.
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Ask if they put a round in the barrel, then allow the slide to go forward.
This will force the extractor to go over the rim of the casing and result in breaking.

Every 1911 should always be fed from the magazine (even if one is loading just one round).
That's a good possibility. I'll if I can dig up that thread at some point.
epleyjoseph is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 439
Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

That gun is the third picture with the wood grips? Pretty sure that's not a Taurus.
It's not, I posted that picture by mistake and I've tried to edit it out but it won't go away. Lol. I think it's a Para Ordinance if I'm not mistaken.
rickster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 432 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
It's not, I posted that picture by mistake and I've tried to edit it out but it won't go away. Lol. I think it's a Para Ordinance if I'm not mistaken.
I'd be really surprised if that was a Para too.
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Taurus 1911 or Rock Island 1911?? cfraga1978 1911 Forum 12 04-06-2012 04:04 AM
taurus pt 1911 1911beast Semi-Auto Handguns 7 04-05-2011 12:12 AM
Taurus 1911 ScottA 1911 Forum 25 04-03-2011 08:12 PM
Taurus PT 1911 jd45 1911 Forum 16 02-28-2011 01:12 AM
taurus pt100 vs other taurus 1911 sizes?? trstncmpbll 1911 Forum 5 10-23-2010 07:26 AM