Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Taurus 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
Internet forums and most gun shops aren't typically the best place to get reliable and accurate opinions. There are too many Taurus-bashers and people who will pass off what they heard from their brother's, uncle's, neighbor's, bestfriend's, cousin as being the red-lettered truth. My recommendation would be to go to the Taurusarmed forum and get opinions from people who actually own the guns.
The established members here do not spread gossip that they read on the interwebz somewhere or heard from their uncle's second cousin. Looking at the posts in this thread, all of us have first hand experience with the gun in question so I think we're qualified to offer our opinions. Actually, the last place I'd go for honest advice and information is a site dedicated to a particular manufacturer - as that's where the fanboys tend to hang out.

I am not a Taurus fan in general as I have OWNED a lemon or two - but I did give their 1911 (as well as their Beretta clones) a thumbs up if you get one at the right price. Also note that ScottA is a Supporting Member of this forum as are all but one of the people that provided a response - we trust each other to be honest in our assessments...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #12

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If that's the case, I look forward to a long-lasting relationship with this forum. I participate on a lot of different boards and I've yet to find one where brand-bashers were held in check. I haven't been participating here long enough to know that yet, so bare with me while I get acquainted with everyone here.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
If that's the case, I look forward to a long-lasting relationship with this forum. I participate on a lot of different boards and I've yet to find one where brand-bashers were held in check. I haven't been participating here long enough to know that yet, so bare with me while I get acquainted with everyone here.
Ya got a Glock do you?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've got two. Both are blued. One is an AR version which has the tactical rail. I don't carefor the rail to much but its not a problem. My base 1911 is currently a build project that's getting stuffed with E.G.W and Wilson Combat parts. The tactical version is all factory and honestly the only complaint I have is F.T.F on really wide mouth hollow points. As far as price, you cannot beat it. Just because its Taurus doesn't mean its junk. Taurus is coming along and getting better. I had a 24/7 and liked it alot. The only reason that it was sold was to fund another project.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #15

I had a blue PT1911. I sold it to a friend that just had to have it. This was after I had put a little over 10,000 rounds through it without any trouble to speak of. He let's me see it sometimes & I'm hapy to say that the pistol is still running strong. About the first of this year I bought another PT1911. This one is Stainless, chamberd in 38 Super. It liked to throw brass in every direction except where I wanted it to, but a little file work on the ejector & a recoil spring change fixed that. My only other Taurus is a 45 ACP Tracker, S/S with a 6 1/2" barrel that I have owned for about five years now. Good shooting revolver. I'm glad to hear that other folks have had good luck with their Taurus firearms and actually like them!

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #16

I've punched a couple thousand rounds through mine with no problems.

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Pt 1911

I bougt mine in 2008 and it's run about 10,000 trouble free round, all the fire control are stock mim, except for a few mode alexander MSH wit magwell, shortend and countersunk slide stope pin and under cut trigger guard also installing what I like to call a travis reduction system that include changing out the 19# MSH spring to 23#and replacing the firing pin stop with an EGW oversized stop with 1/16 radius

Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #18

I have ran somewhere between 3,000-3,500 rds through mine and never had a single problem. It is pretty accurate and a very reliable 1911 for the money.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertlamont80 View Post
I have ran somewhere between 3,000-3,500 rds through mine and never had a single problem. It is pretty accurate and a very reliable 1911 for the money.
That is about the time to consider it almost broken in.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #20

With fear of being labeled someone's second hand ill-begotten cousin, I offer this. On other threads, I have mentioned of purchasing the Clark Custom 460 Rowland drop-in conversion for the 1911 (mine is a S&W). In trying (and failing) to install its 24lbs recoil spring and injuring my trigger finger-nail, I gave up to complain to a couple of my friends. One, who owns and swears by his Taurus 1911, asked if he could try the 460 in his gun. I told him that Clark says they do not recommend its conversion in the Taurus, to which he said he has fired hundreds of rounds through it, including +P with no problems.

Okay; he paid me for my Buffalo Bore ammo and off we went.

On his fifth round, his hammer broke in two, and must have broken deeper inside, as his slide froze back, and we could not get it to move forward.

I do not condemn Taurus on this one incident, but I do give credit to Clark for saying do not use the 460 in the Taurus. Obivously, there is a reason.

Last edited by parinoid54; 04-02-2011 at 10:42 AM.