tactical rail
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > tactical rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default tactical rail

researching before I buy a 1911. Ive been looking at the ones with the light rail on them, but ive noticed that they are a lot more expensive then the regular ones. is there a simple solution to this like add one yourself or is that part of the lower assembly?

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That's part of the frame. Depending on your purpose for the gun, you might not want/need the rail.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just considered having it, incase I want to put a light on it. for looks basically.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

You can get a Taurus PT1911 with the rail for a pretty decent price.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did see a taurus here without the rail for 699. thats a good price compared to the rest ive seen. whats the one with the rail on it run?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are ways to put a light on a non-railed model 1911. You can send the gun to Novak and they will install a light rail on the gun, or you can do it yourself BROWNELLS : BERETTA 92/96 & 1911 AUTO LIGHT RAIL MOUNT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools.
I think it would be a bad idea either way. Getting a quality holster to fit a 1911 with an aftermarket light rail would be a challenge. I'm sure you could get a large tactical rig that could handle it, but then the option of concealed carry is pretty much gone.
I advise non LE and less experienced shooters to get a flashlight instead of a weapon mounted light. With a degree of training and or experience, the handheld light works very well for most. The risk for some is that with a weapon mounted light you are pointing a loaded and ready to fire gun at everything. That's fine if it's a BG that surprises you during a search, but if it's a kid looking for a lost dog, not so good.
I carry both types of 1911's (railed and non-railed). I carry a railed 1911 sometimes with a mounted light, and sometimes with out. If I was limited to one 1911, it would be a light rail model, but I am not a new or lightly experienced shooter.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This gun I also carry in a leather Nighthawk belt holster and a Galco IWB.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yea that makes sense. I do have a lot of kids that live around me. that wouldn't me good. It would be even worse when they go home crying and tell their parents "Shane pointed a gun at me"

Old 01-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
I just considered having it, incase I want to put a light on it. for looks basically.
Ain't vanity a bitch?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes sir it is.