Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Sw1911sc (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sw1911sc-48128/)

BB98338 09-11-2011 04:37 PM

Sw1911sc

I had been looking at 1911's for some time and had been checking reviews on the internet as well. I was at a local Tacoma gun shop and had narrowed the choice down to the Smith & Wesson 1911SC and a Sig 220. Both guns felt good in my hand and were about the same price. I had read some reviews on the forums here that the beavertail on the SW was quite stiff and had to be gripped very hard to engage. I found this not to be the case. It seemed to work just fine with a regular grip. The trigger on the SW seemed "heavenly" to me the way it broke. It also was a very nice looking gun. I ended up buying the SW and took it to the pistol range immediately. I shot 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 230 grain FMJ cartidges that I had bought at the gun shop. I did experience a couple of feeding jambs with one of the clips. After I was done I talked with the range mgr about it and he mentioned that the gun was bone dry and I should put a little grease on the slide and allow a little more time for break in. I was very happy with the accuracy of the pistol. Hopefully the jambing issues will resolve on the next trip to the range.

canebrake 09-11-2011 07:15 PM

Congrats on the S&W.

Sorry to hear about your FTF issues. Keep us in the loop and let us know if it you fix the problem.

BB98338 09-11-2011 11:29 PM

SW1911sc

I went to the range again today and shot 50 more rounds after putting a little grease on the slide. Only had one FTF out of the 50 rounds. It seems to be getting better with use. Otherwise it functioned flawlessly.

bs369 09-12-2011 03:12 PM

Sw1911sc

I have the "Gunsite" Commander model and the only changes I made were alumagrips (slim) and had the performance center install novak fiber optic sights while they were doing an action job....I probably really didn't need the action job as it wasn't bad to begin with....The pistol has digested everything I've put thru it (US factory ammo) without a malfunction. I did need the fiber optic sights due to my aging eyesight and I didn't buy the piece to enter matches with. At 15 yards, with the old onehanded grip it will still put 2 to 3 inch groups in the paper depending on the ammo. Ooops, forgot, also put a lower power wolff recoil spring ( I think it was 16 lbs) I don't shoot plus p ammo with the gun. I carry it everyday with an IWB holster by Don Hume model H715- MS NO 10-41/4". The don Hume products have been a great buy for me. I carried a Don Hum "Jordan" holdster with a "River" belt for a model 19 then 66 for almost 20 years and it's still useable.

pmriley 09-13-2011 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
About 2 weeks ago I bought a new S&W 1911 - 3" barrel Pro Series. It was made in Houlton, Maine. Super sweet trigger. Shoots like a dream. Thing is, I can't find it on the S&W web site. It has a flat black frame,and top of the slide. The sides of the slide are polished and look like the Kimber Eclipse finish. The grips are rosewood, and have an unusual pattern. Does anyone have any thoughts or info? It might be a 2010 model??

Attachment 32817

danf_fl 09-13-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmriley (Post 579321)
About 2 weeks ago I bought a new S&W 1911 - 3" barrel Pro Series. It was made in Houlton, Maine. Super sweet trigger. Shoots like a dream. Thing is, I can't find it on the S&W web site. It has a flat black frame,and top of the slide. The sides of the slide are polished and look like the Kimber Eclipse finish. The grips are rosewood, and have an unusual pattern. Does anyone have any thoughts or info? It might be a 2010 model??

You know, I would like to see pics of that.

bs369 09-13-2011 02:32 PM

Sw1911sc

My 2010 S&W print catalog shows one 3'' barrel 1911, a model number 178020 with a black Melonite finish. it is listed as a Pro Series pistol. However it shows Synthetic grips rather than rosewood. Often SW makes or offers minor changes not shown in the catalog. I had the chance to shoot one awhile ago before purchasing my 1911 and it was a real nice "shooter." Good luck with it.

pmriley 09-13-2011 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have attached a picture. We'll see when I post this :)

NOVA 09-13-2011 08:46 PM

Shoot it wet!

I bought my SW1911 TRS just this past Friday and did a range report on this site Sunday. Same issues - PMC FMJ 230GR failure to go to battery.

I called S&W Customer Service today - they confirmed that you need more than just the four drops of oil stated in the owner's manual. Before you shoot it again, check out YouTube for subject:
"Wilson Combat - cleaning a 1911" It shows all the different lube points before putting the gun back together. Its bound to help.

There's folks who will tell you it should be returned to SW - there is no cost - they provide shipping label - all you need is a box.

But I side with the folks who say you gotta put 500 rounds through that bad boy first. Customer Service said no problem as long as your are the original owner you can do the break in and it is still under warranty.

bs369 09-14-2011 03:46 PM

Sw1911sc

Correct my prior post about my "gunsite" model commander. Looking at my records it shows I replaced the factory spring with a Wolff springs 18lb variable power spring. This was done upon the advice of 1911 gunsmith in FL when I told him I was trying different types of ammo for function and accuracy. No problems with it.