Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sw1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I've been more than happy with my Taurus 1911 and they are available for a little less than $750. I have total confidence it will go bang when I pull the trigger but I also make sure I clean it on a monthly basis and after every time I go shooting with it. This is the only 1911 I have experience with so I can't tell you what a more expensive 1911 brings to the table.

The biggest problem I read about for 1911's is the magazines. This does not seem to be a brand specific problem but a platform problem. Err let me rephrase that so I don't get yelled at here, it's not the platform that is the problem, it's the poorly engineered factory magazines that are the issue, so I would suggest you consider the price of a couple after market magazines into your cost. Just a few posts down is a post from me asking what the best magazines are and it has some good responses in it.
I agree with Yunus.. I've got two 45's one of which is of the 1911 platform. I love my Colt but it does not compare with the Taurus that I shot. My other 45 is an XD. IMO (and I am no 1911 expert) for the money, you cannot go wrong with the taurus. It's got all the bells and whistles of your high end 1911's at a fraction of the cost. Around my neck of the woods, they are still under $600.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Taurus has had problems with the left side safety coming off - it did on one of them that I had. Also, weak extractors seem to plague them (2 friends had extractor failures). A decent gun if you get one for the right price but I prefer a Rock Island Tactical at $500 or so...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Taurus has had problems with the left side safety coming off - it did on one of them that I had. Also, weak extractors seem to plague them (2 friends had extractor failures). A decent gun if you get one for the right price but I prefer a Rock Island Tactical at $500 or so...
I was not aware of the issues Taurus was having.. Good to know if and when I decide to buy another 1911. I'm agreeing that the OP should not be poopooing the RI's so quickly. They are extremely well made 45's and worth a look as a 1st 1911 (imo).

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"