Sw1911?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sw1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sw1911?

Been reading a lot but not enough about this gun and would like some opinions as to the performance of this 1911 such as durability, construction, accuracy, weight for cc, strength as a HD gun ect. A little background on me, this will be my first 1911 and first .45 ACP. I plan on using this for HD but wouldn't say I won't carry on occasion.

My main question would be for the price tag this gun demands should I look at cheaper models? This gun is by far at the highest end of my price range and would love to spend a few hundred less if I could get something just as good. Appreciate the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned a couple of them and they are fine 1911s. They differ from the purist specs as they use an external extractor. Unlike Kimber's foray into external extractors, S&W did it correctly and they are reliable. You can spend much more and you can also spend less - just depends on the level of quality you want. If you're really concerned with price, get a Rock Island Tactical for a few hundred less. It wont be as nice a gun as the S&W but they are certainly good reliable guns.

Truthfully, 1911s (any gun really) are a lot like cars. Some folks are content with a basic Kia, some would rather have a mid-grade Ford, Chevy or Nissan, still others aren't happy with less than a BMW or Mercedes, and a select few demand a Ferrari. All of them will get you from point A to point B but they are certainly not the same.

Will a $1000 1911 perform better for you than a $500 1911 - maybe, maybe not depending on your skill level. At the end of the day it's what makes you happy that matters...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

I must agree. We purchased Rock Island 1911's for our daughters several years for Christmas and they have performed flawlessly. As a resposible parent, before we gave them to them, I fired each of the two to make sure they were alright. Out of the box, they shot 2" or less patterns at 25 yards. If I were better, I am not sure they could not have been as well. Please let me make my self clear, I agree that the RI's are good but as said earlier, there is a difference between a BMW and KIA. The RI would give you good experience without a huge investment. JMHO.

1911....enough said!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Before buying my S&W's (its all I own), I did a lot of reading on this and other forums. So far, outside of "loose triggers," I have heard nothing but good about their 1911's, including how accurate they are out of the box. Only once, have I read that someone's hammer broke in two, and yes, it was/is MIM. But to be fair, I have read numerous accounts of Colt's forged slide stop breaking, so don't place too much emphasis on MIM parts. Having said this, and only because I choose to, I have replaced all parts in my S&W's that I suspect of being MIM with those said to be from tool steel; no part is perfect, but it makes me feel better.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #5

I've looked at some of the RIA's briefly and honestly didn't really like what I saw too much. For me I really want a durable gun that will be worry free day in and day out. I don't need a BMW, but if that's what it takes to have a very dependable and accurate gun then I must consider it. Do you guys think there is a comparable unit out there for less? Doesn't have to be 100% original Browning design because I don't frown upon a time tested platform with some modern updates.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #6

I'll be honest that there is no such thing as a worry free gun - regardless of how much you spend. In the same price range as the S&W is the Springer Loaded and some Kimber models. TBH, all the guns in this price range are the same level of quality and I have owned them all at some point. I'm probably a bigger fan of the Springer Loaded but I can't complain about S&W either.

IMHO, the 1911 platform is designed for folks that like to tinker and maintain their guns. I really don't recommend them to folks that just want to load and shoot them. They can be finicky and picky and they are not a great platform for casual gun owners...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-29-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I'll be honest that there is no such thing as a worry free gun - regardless of how much you spend...
Really??

Even if I run it through the shop when I first get it??

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really??

Even if I run it through the shop when I first get it??
C'mon JD, you understand the point I was trying to gently make. I love 1911s but they can be cranky sometimes and very frustrating for the casual handgun owner. The OP seems to want something that will operate 100% out of the box in any situation and the upper end of his price range doesn't include a custom shop gun - or a Nighthawk.

Yes, all of mine run like they should but I've found the mags, springs and ammo that each of them like...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-30-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would also look at that Kimber Custom II. That is the 1911 I have. I have run HP SD ammo, RN hand loads, Lead RN hand loads, reman ammo, factory new ammo high end ammo WWB ammo, TC Rainer loads, Hornady XTP handloads. Never once have I had a problem from the gun. When I was first learning how to load pistol ammo I did have issues but that was wing nut pulling the lever on the machine and not pistol.

To me the external extractor was fixing something that was not really broke.

You can spend $500 to $3000+ on a 1911. Find the one you like and buy the darn thing. Some will say you have a break in period. Some say that will last aprox 1000 rounds. So buy a bunch of ammo and the gun then head to the range and shoot the hell out of it. Once you burn through the first 500 to 1k your going to be golden. First thing I would do is dump factory mags from a kimber. I picked up 6 wilson combat 8rd polymer follower mags and they are 1000000 times better than factory mags. Also when you get the gun home clean it. Field strip and clean it. Lube it good and shoot it like you stole it.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #10

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBee View Post
I've looked at some of the RIA's briefly and honestly didn't really like what I saw too much. For me I really want a durable gun that will be worry free day in and day out. I don't need a BMW, but if that's what it takes to have a very dependable and accurate gun then I must consider it. Do you guys think there is a comparable unit out there for less? Doesn't have to be 100% original Browning design because I don't frown upon a time tested platform with some modern updates.
I've been more than happy with my Taurus 1911 and they are available for a little less than $750. I have total confidence it will go bang when I pull the trigger but I also make sure I clean it on a monthly basis and after every time I go shooting with it. This is the only 1911 I have experience with so I can't tell you what a more expensive 1911 brings to the table.

The biggest problem I read about for 1911's is the magazines. This does not seem to be a brand specific problem but a platform problem. Err let me rephrase that so I don't get yelled at here, it's not the platform that is the problem, it's the poorly engineered factory magazines that are the issue, so I would suggest you consider the price of a couple after market magazines into your cost. Just a few posts down is a post from me asking what the best magazines are and it has some good responses in it.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson