SW E series or Springfield Loaded?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > SW E series or Springfield Loaded?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SW E series or Springfield Loaded?

I'm really torn between these two. I like the look of the SW better, but performance, and overall quality and build are first. I'll be using it for IDPA.

I would like detailed opinions. Not just 'go with the Springer' etc. I want to know why you would prefer one over the other from a perspective of quality of build and parts, shooting experience, and also how easy it is to get sights, trigger parts, etc. I've tried to do as much research as I can, and I'm also bugged about the external extractor thing. Is it really that bad to have?

Thanks in advance. I need to know the 'why' behind the opinions. I've shot an EMP and Kimber at the local range...but can't find anyone with one of either of my choices.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Umm - all of the parts that you menation are pretty interchangable with any standard 1911 (ie..same exact design no matter the company that makes it). 1911's are maybe the most modified/changed up guns out there - so many different parts makers that spare parts will not be an issue with either guns.

One difference between the two you mention however, would be the extractor. S&W uses an external extractor (ie.. you can see it on the outside of the slide). Springfield and most other 1911 makers use an internal extractor. Neither would be better than the other from a functionality standpoint, but some 1911 "purists" cannot stomach an external extractor. It just comes down to looks really for this (or it does to me anyway).

I have a Springfield loaded. I have put a good many rounds through it (over 2000). It has been flawless. I have put a good many parts changes or upgrades to it as well. These include: MSH to add magwell (and remove the Springfield ILS), EGW barrel bushing, flat trigger, full ignition group (C&S super match trigger group - hammer, sear, disconnect, sear spring, MSH spring) and various grip changes. Right now, in process of changing out the sights to go to a plain rear with wide notch and FO front. You will have no issues with any parts you need (but that said, you will not have any issues in this regard with the S&W either).

I have no experience with the S&W E-series. Except reading about them & they seem to be excellent guns. They are hard to find around these parts. I have only ever seen one in person at a LGS. This would be a tough decision for me if both were in front of me (and I had it to do over again).

Hope that helps....

Last edited by bartwatkins; 04-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

Liked 956 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Your choice as both guns are really good guns. I won't own a 1911 with the external extractor so the loaded would be my choice.

USMC 74-78

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I have both.Two Springfield loaded models,ones a Longslide,the other is a Range Officer.My Smith is the new E series.All three are excellent shooters.The Smith just seems to be a little better quality fit and finish wise.All three are very accurate.The external extracter doesn't bother me a bit,it works.I also have a Sig STX,best shooter I own,and an external extracter.Handle them all,find friends that have different guns and try them out.Get what ya like!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Your choice as both guns are really good guns. I won't own a 1911 with the external extractor so the loaded would be my choice.
+1 I echo that.

Smith makes a great 1911, just not my style.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #6

I bought the Smith and Wesson E Series. If I don't like it (and I don't know why I wouldn't) I'll sell it and get a Springer loaded...heck, I might have to have both.

Thanks for the detailed responses to my question