stuck safety - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > stuck safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

The Springfield Armory 1911 manual link:
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=1911

A warning as posted in the manual:
"If you decide to disassemble your Springfield pistol, do so properly. Improper disassembly and assembly will create unsafe conditions that could result in injury or death or a gun that simply will not work. Don’t take chances. Do not attempt to disassemble this or any other firearm until you have received training and instructions from a competent gunsmith."

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #32

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

That made me laugh! I didn't like it, but it made me laugh.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #33

Last edited by Ablebaker; 05-05-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebaker View Post
They aren't in the gun now.
what is your level of understanding of the 1911? IMO, it would probably be best to get a gunsmith involved before you damage your pistol and or get yourself or someone else hurt.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #35

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

I'm suggesting the OP change his screen name from Ablebaker to CFAWBHIAWLR...

I've got an "attaboy" for anyone who can decode the acronym.

Tack

Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

it's quite possible if the OP isn't careful, he won't be a member of this forum for long. personal insults are frowned upon as are derogatory name calling.

just some friendly advice and some suggestions if you want to remain here on the forum for very long.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #37

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebaker View Post
Strange, judging by what you've said so far, I would think that someone else getting hurt would be exactly what you would want.
Look, let's just all cool off and quit with the "who's the bigger dick, show".

The key on these Internet gun forums it to be clear in what we are talking about so that we can get to the heart of the problem when someone asks a technical question or for advice on a repair. This gets tricky and a lot of follow up questions may be asked for clarity. Sometimes multiple people are typing the same questions at the same time. This may make it seem like your intelligence is being questioned. It's not. But understanding what your level of experience is, can be important in how advice is phrased. We are trying to give advice on multiple small parts without being able to see them.

I haven't been on this forum as long as some of the guys offering advice, but I've been around guns and jerks for a long time. Axxe and Dan have a pretty good track record from postings I've seen so far, as being pretty helpful.

If you have the mainspring housing out, the leaf spring can float around and the hammer strut will also flip around and can bind up behind the mainspring housing while you slide it back in. I like to get the leaf spring situated with the fingers lined up on their appropriate components and hold some tension at the base of the leaf sling where the tab enters the frame. Then get the grip safety in an instal the manual safety to hold it which required pushing it in while wiggling it up and down a bit until the plunger detent holds it. The hammer should be forward while doing this. Then it's time to slide the mainspring housing in far enough to hold some pressure on the leaf spring while tipping the pistol a bit to get the hammer strut guided into the indent in the main spring plunger. This requires keeping the hammer forward and holding your mouth just right with a little bit of your tongue sticking out between your teeth. Then when everything is lined up and held in place with a bit of tension push the mainspring home and align the hole for the retaining pin. It can be tricky to keep everything lined up. Leaf spring fingers will get behind components. Hammer strut wants to go behind the mainspring housing, etc. there are some good videos that probably do an easier job of explaining what I'm trying to describe. At this point it is probably best to strip it all the way down and follow a clear video or take it to a gunsmith or someone with a good amount if 1911 experience.