Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Stuck in Ma..which 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stuck in Ma..which 1911?

Hi all,

I live in Ma (I know..I know). Im very, very restricted on what handguns I can own. I would like to buy a 1911 style pistol. My choices are limited to certain makers/models. I can get a couple of Para's, Some S&W and a couple of Sigs.

I CANT get Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Glock, no customs like Les Baer, Nighthawk..etc. What manufacturer should I look to first. I know its a vague question, but I guess im just looking for recommendations to manufacturer. Thanks in advance.

Sean
Massachusetts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, welcome to the Forum.

Now, I am not familiar with the laws in your part of the country, but it sounds like you are living in occupied terror-tory. For that, you have my condolences, but we have several members here living behind enemy lines, so you are not alone.

Now, I am unclear as you why you can only by certain 1911 makers.

Are certain makers "outlawed" - or do you need a Maine Compliant version from any manufacturer.

As an example, recently an Ed Brown Special Forces Edition 1911 came up for sale at a very good price. One of the members was interested, but he lives in Kalifornia. As it was not a Kali-Compliant gun, he was unable to take advantage of it.

Is this the situation you are faced with?

Please explain. yes, I could look up the laws in your area, but quite frankly it's Sunday on a long weekend and I am feeling more than a bit lazy.

JD

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I would check out a Rock Island Armory 1911. I bought mine for $300 used. It not as nice as some of the more expensive and more well known 1911 variants out there but it's pretty wallet freindly. Mine is an A1, which is the same basic version that our boys carried in WWII and Veitnam.

It's reliable, durable and in the right hands it's accurate. I need some practice with it but can't afford much ammo right now, but otherwise I love it. I normally use the cheapest FMJ's I can find for target practice and for personal protection I use either Georgia Arms hollow points or Federal Hydrashox.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #4

Sorry to hear you're living behind one of the Democrat party's "Iron Curtains" , if you're a first time handgun owner I always suggest a nice double action revolver if not well of the 1911's you mention any of them will do the job .

I hear S&W is turning out a real fine 1911 despite that it has an external extractor and their revolvers are of course always an excellent choice .

Para is also a reported quality product and the only double stack 1911 that really gets my interest .

Best of luck

Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would buy this for $720.99...http://www.impactguns.com/store/770752140025.html

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 PM   #6

The Para is a nice pistol, I have one and it's a very reliable weapon. However, my next 1911 will be a Sig 1911. Go handle both and pick the one that calls to you. You can't go wrong with either one.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #7

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of your questions. I have owned firearms since 1989, so im not really a newbie. I have owned S&W 5906 (pre-94 Massachusetts Hi-Capacity crap) a S&W 442, 629, Airweight, Colt Python..and some others. Ive never had a 1911 style, and want one. I just have a couple Smith revolvers now.

The laws in Massachusetts are strict as to manufacturers because it is required that they submit guns and ammo for drop tests, trigger pull..etc..etc. Most manufacturers wont even submit guns to Ma. They say the laws are too confusing/strict and rediculous. Many, just say "Thanks, but no thanks, we dont need your business".

As a "class A" firearms license owner, I can purchase, posses and carry concealed just about any firearm, prior to 1994. Any firearm Post '94 has to be approved on TWO rosters within the state. Its messed up because on one roster, it will be compliant, but the other it isnt. So, the firearm has to appear as compliant on BOTH rosters.

Also, They cannot have less than a 10lb TP, No more than 10 RNDs, Must pass a substansial drop test...etc.

To purchase a Pre-94 firearm with "high cap", I believe it has had to always been registered in the state of Ma. since before the new laws. Im not definate on that, but im fairly certain. The laws are just so confusing.

Only a few manufacturers will even submit guns to Ma..therefore, not on the approved roster...therefore...I CANNOT OWN. I HATE this state. This is a communist/So******t state, thanks to these three boobs. John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and Patrick Duval. Start there. So, basically im limited to "some" Paras, "some" Smiths and 2 or 3 sigs. Only a few from each man. are legal/compliant in Ma.

Thanks Again.
Sean

Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Given that criteria, and what you have access too - I have to agree with JP Beck and say the Sig would be my first choice. The Sig 1911 isn't cheap, but it's a nice piece of gear that is well built and will do the job. Not that the others won't but I feel the Sig is the best of the choices you have access too....

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes in Occupied Terror-Tory.

Best of luck!

JD

Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #9

Holy Jeezuz! I had no idea that Mass was THAT strict. But we all know that Ted Kennedy knows how to better institute safety requirements than the manufacturers. You'd think he'd require any car sold in Mass be buoyant, and all livers immune to alcohol.

You oughta move a few miles north to the the Green Mountain state, and own whatever you want. Good luck in the search man.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #10

Thanks Guys,

Actually, NH is my next move. Unfortunately, I have to wait till the housing market levels out so I can sell. NH is the Live Free or Die state, and its 5 min from my front door. Thats how close I am to freedom. Thanks for all your condolences too!! Take Care. PS: Good One JeepCreep