Story of a Colt Commander
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Story of a Colt Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Story of a Colt Commander

I ordered a Colt XSE SS Commander from Bud's back in March '08. Naturally this type of purchase is "sight unseen" and when I went to pick her up from the ffl...I immediately noticed the barrel shroud was off center to the frame...we have all seen this so called imperfection by now and I was a little disappointed but instead of declining the piece, I thought better of it and took her home. I always tear these things down to the bones and clean...general look-see. The only other problem I percieved is that damned ambi-safety...a weak link and unneccessary for a righty, plus it was scratching the right side of the frame...for the record, I'm a lefty but shoot right handed. Anyway, I called Colt the next business and explained to a very nice lady the problem. She gave me return instructions and off to the shipper after work that day...oh yeah I asked about freight charge compensation both ways and was told they would cover it. I also asked if they would change out that ambi-safety for a good ol' standard type and was told they would at no charge! I had the pistol back in about a week and it is perfect! I took her to the range and ran 100 rounds of 230 ball for a live fire check...I mean, I figured it was about time. Happy with the performance, I logged into Brownell's site and ordered the srs. 80 slot filler, a SS Ed Brown Arched main spring housing and the parts to convert that silly full length recoil spring assy back what I deem...normal...Here are a few pictures I manged...I'm no photographer...

I guess patience is a virtue...and I love this gun!

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I had one just about exactly like that. It was a great shooter.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Looks nice, nice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been wanting a Commander for a while. I have an Officer, Defender, and a few Goverments. I need a Commander to round out the collection.

I think I'll start with one like yours, thanks for the customer service report. Always helpful.
Have fun with it!

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I've been wanting a Commander for a while. I have an Officer, Defender, and a few Goverments. I need a Commander to round out the collection.

I think I'll start with one like yours, thanks for the customer service report. Always helpful.
Have fun with it!
You might consider the alloy frame, this is a wee bit on the heavy side...I like a steel frame on a hand gun but I'll never wear it out no matter how hard I try. Sounds like you have a nice collection, I have a srs. 70 in blue and a New Agent on the way...looking forward to it. Happy shooting.

Hill

Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Give us a report on the new Agent, I picked the defender over the new agent because of the sights and I often wonder if the trench style is as accurate. If yours turns out great I might have one of those as well.

Damn, 1911s are addicting. Too many models, too little money!

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #7

Yeah I'll probably just do a post on the New Agent...I actually picked it up today during lunch. What a sweet little pistol. Off hand, I'll say that it fits my hand well...my little finger is half-way on the lower grip so it's not too short considering the fact that it is a sub-compact. I'm 6'4" and my hands are waffles so this is a good sign. The muzzle seems even more impressive then the regular 1911 Government. I'll have to tear her down for a thourough cleaning but so far I am really impressed. Guess I need a good holster for this one as it is going to replace my current summer carry piece (S&W 60 Chiefs special). I haven't even had a chance to get a pic but considering my photographic skills it's no loss......well and it could be my cheesy camera...

Last edited by hillmillenia; 05-27-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: illiteracy