Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Storing my 1911 in a wood cigar box (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/storing-my-1911-wood-cigar-box-32699/)

ElvisIsDead 10-06-2010 03:12 AM

Storing my 1911 in a wood cigar box

An old friend called today and we were talking about keeping guns around the house with all the kids, my son's not mine, running around. He said he keeps his Colt in a wood cigar box. I have several of them around the house but have never given it much thought. I haven't smoked cigars in years. Does anyone see any chance of damage from the wood? I believe the boxes are cedar but not 100% sure. They are nice boxes that contained charming cigars straight from Havana. Still has the Republic De Cuba Tax Stamp right next to the "Cohiba burned into the wood. I think it would be a neat way to store the gun and the kids know to stay out of the cigar box.

1911Jeeper 10-06-2010 03:40 AM

If you have kids in the house or kids as visitors to your home, you should have a lock box, trigger lock, quick access container, or similar to prevent unauthorized access to the firearms.

Thoroughly dry wood should cause no harm to a modern firearm.

007BondJamesBond007 10-06-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper (Post 363751)
If you have kids in the house or kids as visitors to your home, you should have a lock box, trigger lock, quick access container, or similar to prevent unauthorized access to the firearms.

Thoroughly dry wood should cause no harm to a modern firearm.

^^^^^Yes To That??^^^^^^

Dillinger 10-06-2010 04:04 AM

EASY GUYS

Stand down a bit, the gentleman is merely asking a question.

Now, hiding in plain sight is all fine and good Elvis, but you have to factor in access, which I know you have.

NO GRANDPARENT hasn't thought about the Little Ones. ;)

I am for the idea of hiding a weapon in plain sight.

When I was in Daly City ( outside of San Fran ) in 2002, our contract included some work in "the ghetto" behind The Presidio and also in San Mateo and Oakland.

Now, my guys who followed me from contract to contract were mostly, uh, "white" for lack of a better term. I don't know what the PC term is.... "cracker"? :confused:

One guy, I'll call him Nick, was a former Army, uh, "shooter". He had a lot of tricks, gained by lots of time "outside the wire". He turned me onto 1911's and he showed me some stuff that NO ONE has volunteered here on this website. :rolleyes:

In his toolbox was an inconspicious looking First Aid kit. Probably 9" by 6" and it was made of steel with a two hinge top. Just ziptied to his toolkit. It went everywhere he went to work. Just another piece of "kit".

One day we were talking about safety, just he and I, and he said that he was not worried, he was 100% covered. I made the comment that "my over-watch was sometimes MILES away" - he just gave me a grin and flipped the two latches on his "First Aid" kit. Inside was nothing but foam, a 1911 5" Colt, loaded, and (3) additional mags.

I would have NEVER guessed what he had in there if he didn't show me.

JD

winds-of-change 10-06-2010 04:08 AM

Personally, the gun in my house is always in a locked, quick open Gun Vault. I have a granddaughter and I don't want any accidents. Kids can get into anything around the house out of curiosity. I would rather know my granddaughter will never have access to my gun than to wish, in hindsight, that I was more careful.

Gloves 10-06-2010 07:00 AM

Dillinger, I know that part of SF. and a first aid kit... that's genious.

Ralphhster 10-06-2010 07:50 AM

Dillinger has a very very good point ! Exclusive of all else, criminals do LOVE for folks to keep their firearms locked up. When you need the gun most, you WILL need it fast. If you don't need it fast ---call 911 ---if you call 911 ,you really won't need to then dig for your gun ! Ever tried to get ahold of 911 --FAST ?
Cigar box sounds like an ingenious place for the home defender to be stored, ready for fast action !

danf_fl 10-06-2010 09:23 AM

Almost like the "cut out" coffee table book at my house.

spittinfire 10-06-2010 11:37 AM

I don't see how storing a weapon in a cigar box would hurt anything. It would be like any other storage area, keep it cool and dry. If you really want protect it, line the inside with something and throw a reusable dry stick in there.

NGIB 10-06-2010 12:30 PM

Doubt it would hurt a thing and it would be a nifty conversation piece. I have no kids at home so a few of mine are always laying around the house on tables or counters...