Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Stone Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stone Grips

I am in the process of making some 1911 grips out of granite and marble. I have heard that there may be an issue with the grips cracking when the gun is fired, so they may be just for display guns, at least at first. Do you think people would still be interested? How much do you think I could charge?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

I have no idea what to tell you on either question (My initial thought is that the marble might be more brittle than the granite but that's just a guess)... but I'd LOVE for you to post some pics when you get them done...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
I am in the process of making some 1911 grips out of granite and marble. I have heard that there may be an issue with the grips cracking when the gun is fired, so they may be just for display guns, at least at first. Do you think people would still be interested? How much do you think I could charge?
I don't know what you should charge, but have you considered a rubber grommet to absorb some of the vibration when fired?

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19846 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50022

Quote:
i personally think they would look very nice. the problem that occurs to me is the thickness of them and the brittle nature of the material. 1911 style grips are usually 1/4" or less in thickness. something that thin in a brittle material might or might not stand up to the recoil of a pistol. i don't know for sure myself. then there is the constant handling of them also when shooting. my best suggestion, is to make a pair and try them out. sounds like a cool project.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

What about the question of added weight? While I'm sure the finished product will look amazing, if it makes the gun feel like aiming a boat anchor the idea won't take hold. I have no idea, but just something to consider. I can tell a big difference in weight just between different woods as grips. Granite sounds like it might be a lot heavier.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I think that if you were to segment the stone in a raised small diamond pattern, like the space shuttle tiles, and somehow glue it to a piece of kydex the grips might be functional, they would look beautiful in a black onyx type stone, as to how much you can charge it's hard to say with out seeing them, but they'll be worth what ever some one is willing to pay.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's where I'm at so far. These are actually marble instead of granite. I've still got some shaping to do, and I will need to drill the screw holes. Those scuff marks will also be gone when it's finished. What do you think?

dsc00017.jpg   dsc00022.jpg   dsc00021.jpg   dsc00026.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what do you all think?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Looks pretty good man. Keep us updated...I'd like to see what they look like on a gun.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd love to see the finished product ..

Please post pictures.

Are those going to be heavy?