Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Stone Grips (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/stone-grips-66632/)

PeteZaHut 06-18-2012 06:37 PM

Stone Grips

I am in the process of making some 1911 grips out of granite and marble. I have heard that there may be an issue with the grips cracking when the gun is fired, so they may be just for display guns, at least at first. Do you think people would still be interested? How much do you think I could charge?

vincent 06-18-2012 07:15 PM

I have no idea what to tell you on either question (My initial thought is that the marble might be more brittle than the granite but that's just a guess)... but I'd LOVE for you to post some pics when you get them done...:cool:

bearrwe 06-18-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteZaHut (Post 840598)
I am in the process of making some 1911 grips out of granite and marble. I have heard that there may be an issue with the grips cracking when the gun is fired, so they may be just for display guns, at least at first. Do you think people would still be interested? How much do you think I could charge?

I don't know what you should charge, but have you considered a rubber grommet to absorb some of the vibration when fired?

Axxe55 06-18-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

i personally think they would look very nice. the problem that occurs to me is the thickness of them and the brittle nature of the material. 1911 style grips are usually 1/4" or less in thickness. something that thin in a brittle material might or might not stand up to the recoil of a pistol. i don't know for sure myself. then there is the constant handling of them also when shooting. my best suggestion, is to make a pair and try them out. sounds like a cool project.

Olympus 06-18-2012 09:33 PM

What about the question of added weight? While I'm sure the finished product will look amazing, if it makes the gun feel like aiming a boat anchor the idea won't take hold. I have no idea, but just something to consider. I can tell a big difference in weight just between different woods as grips. Granite sounds like it might be a lot heavier.

cuba 06-19-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

I think that if you were to segment the stone in a raised small diamond pattern, like the space shuttle tiles, and somehow glue it to a piece of kydex the grips might be functional, they would look beautiful in a black onyx type stone, as to how much you can charge it's hard to say with out seeing them, but they'll be worth what ever some one is willing to pay.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

PeteZaHut 07-01-2012 08:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's where I'm at so far. These are actually marble instead of granite. I've still got some shaping to do, and I will need to drill the screw holes. Those scuff marks will also be gone when it's finished. What do you think?

PeteZaHut 07-07-2012 05:30 PM

what do you all think?

jordan89 07-07-2012 05:40 PM

Looks pretty good man. Keep us updated...I'd like to see what they look like on a gun.

Don Davis 07-07-2012 05:52 PM

I'd love to see the finished product ..

Please post pictures.

Are those going to be heavy?

:cool: