Still Hunting for my first 1911... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Still Hunting for my first 1911...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 260
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr203 View Post
If you are going for a carry weapon, I recommend the Colt Defender. This is just one man's bias opinion, but mine has never failed me. Every maker has their own issues, and anyone can get a lemon.
The defender is a solid weapon, or any Colt for that matter.
This is mine and I love it.

Some may say its like Ford, Dodge and Chevy, but this is my opinion and I trust my life to it.
It's not so much the name, it's the size. I've heard from more than one person on more than one forum that sub 4.25" 1911's don't hold up as well over time as the bigger ones do. It makes sense to me, mechanically speaking. I just wish Colt Commander's weren't so hard to find these days. If I could just SEE one and HOLD it I'd be much more inclined to get one probably...
__________________
feedsasquatch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
It's not so much the name, it's the size. I've heard from more than one person on more than one forum that sub 4.25" 1911's don't hold up as well over time as the bigger ones do. It makes sense to me, mechanically speaking. I just wish Colt Commander's weren't so hard to find these days. If I could just SEE one and HOLD it I'd be much more inclined to get one probably...
check this out:

Defender Series 90 Lightweight 45ACP - Auction: 9326180 (Ends 09/17/2009, 12:26:20 PST)
__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr203 View Post
If you are going for a carry weapon, I recommend the Colt Defender. This is just one man's bias opinion, but mine has never failed me. Every maker has their own issues, and anyone can get a lemon.
The defender is a solid weapon, or any Colt for that matter.
This is mine and I love it.

Some may say its like Ford, Dodge and Chevy, but this is my opinion and I trust my life to it.
For $650, that is a good price for the Defender!

COLT Defender, get it!

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post

Dillinger, what does "MIM" stand for? And what are these parts that I'm need to "look out for" and possibly replace?
MIM = Metal Injection Molding

A really big company that produces a ton of MIM parts is a company called BUL out of Israel.

Now, there are a ton of people who will tell you that MIM parts are just as good as good old American metal parts, but I, personally, disagree.

A MIM part can, and has been seen, to just up and break. They have a stress-up ramp that is quite short. Slight stress=A lot of stress=breakage.

Common MIM parts in a "budget" 1911 are the: slide stop, thumb safety, extractor, and the hammer. Unfortunately, each of these critical components, and if any one of them breaks, your 1911 becomes an expensive club.

Personally, I won't carry a 1911 with MIM parts in it for self defense, but that is because of mine own paranoia.

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default

JD, it's only paranoia if they're not really after you...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccr203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 95
Default

I can understand that completely.

I shoot my Colt Defender regularly or ay least I used to till 45 ammo got scarce here in my part of the country. The Defender was a good fit for me, size, budget, and reliability.

It may not be for you, but finding some at your local gun stores and physically holding them is the best start.

Good Luck in your search and when you finally find your 1911, please posts some pics and a range report!!


Chris

__________________
ccr203 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 260
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks for the link!

I'll be honest though, I'm not comfortable buying used if it isn't local. If there are any problems with the gun, then it's more $$$ coming out of my wallet. It looks like a really nice gun though... Very tempting price point.
__________________
feedsasquatch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Thanks for the link!

I'll be honest though, I'm not comfortable buying used if it isn't local. If there are any problems with the gun, then it's more $$$ coming out of my wallet. It looks like a really nice gun though... Very tempting price point.
Sure, I understand that, but most reputable dealers have a policy like this one does:

The Seller is required to give the Buyer a minimum of three days to inspect any firearm sold through Auction Arms. See the Auction Arms Terms and Conditions for details.

It's on their website.

Anyway, just an FYI. Hope you find what you're looking for.
__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 260
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Sure, I understand that, but most reputable dealers have a policy like this one does:

The Seller is required to give the Buyer a minimum of three days to inspect any firearm sold through Auction Arms. See the Auction Arms Terms and Conditions for details.

It's on their website.

Anyway, just an FYI. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Oh, I didn't see that. So that's something that the auction website holds the seller accountable too? If so, maybe I'll rethink "steel frame only" for my concealed carry piece...
__________________
feedsasquatch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
hunting MisterV Hunting Forum 7 01-13-2013 06:50 PM
All about hunting cobra22 Hunting Forum 2 09-03-2009 01:42 AM
Hunting with 91/30 herp_man2003 Hunting Forum 7 06-11-2008 12:06 AM
Bow hunting sn_lhy Hunting Forum 1 08-27-2007 09:40 AM