Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Steel vs. Aluminum frame?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Steel vs. Aluminum frame?

Steel vs. Aluminum frame?
Since my visit to Canebrake I was converted... I know, I want a 1911 for sure... but some models have steel frames and other has aluminum frames, which is better, and why? I think that I want an AL frame 1911 because the weight, I don't want rails for sure, but frame material... I'm not sure.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Al frames are definately easier to carry, but will not hold up to as many firings as steel. Al alloy of today is far tougher than it was 30 years ago. install a Sprinco recoil reducer and you likely will never wear out an alloy framed 1911.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I never really liked an aluminum frame 1911. Just dosn't feel right. There is nothing like cold hard steel. The extra weight is just right for fast and accurate follow-up shots. Just my opinion..........

Jim.........

Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Steel vs. Aluminum frame?
Since my visit to Canebrake I was converted... I know, I want a 1911 for sure... but some models have steel frames and other has aluminum frames, which is better, and why? I think that I want an AL frame 1911 because the weight, I don't want rails for sure, but frame material... I'm not sure.
EL, it depends on what you want to do with the gun.

Target, competition; with a repeated use of a high volume of ammo (even target loads), go with the longest barrel you are comfortable with and in steel. (Carbon or SS)

If it is for CCW and maybe 2X/month practice, then go with the shortest barrel you are comfortable with and alloy.

It really is as simple as that! Today’s alloys are tough!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've never heard or read of any issues whatsoever with aluminum frames, it's just preference.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll have to agree with Canebrake on this 1. If it's a carry gun you can easily get by with an aluminum alloy frame but I personally prefer steel. The heavier the frame is in relation to the total weight of the pistol, the faster your followup recovery will be. Naturally the aluminum frame will be more comfortable to carry but there's really not as much difference as you would think judged by "feel".

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The only alloy framed 1911 I owned was a Kimber Tactical Pro. It was somewhat lighter than the steel framed version and operated flawlessly. As I decided not to carry a 1911, I traded it for something - probably in steel...

Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
EL, it depends on what you want to do with the gun.

Target, competition; with a repeated use of a high volume of ammo (even target loads), go with the longest barrel you are comfortable with and in steel. (Carbon or SS)

If it is for CCW and maybe 2X/month practice, then go with the shortest barrel you are comfortable with and alloy.

It really is as simple as that! Today’s alloys are tough!

+ 7

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #9

Not only will alloy frames ware out faster, the steel frame is a better shooter. As for weight, I added a full length recoil rod which a bit weight to the front end. I carried a 1911 on duty and off for over 25 years (sometimes for 28 hours straight and would have to press my elbow against the butt to be assured that it was still there.)