Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Steel vs. Aluminum frame? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/steel-vs-aluminum-frame-19300/)

AsmelEduardo 10-20-2009 06:14 PM

Steel vs. Aluminum frame?

Since my visit to Canebrake I was converted... I know, I want a 1911 for sure... but some models have steel frames and other has aluminum frames, which is better, and why? I think that I want an AL frame 1911 because the weight, I don't want rails for sure, but frame material... I'm not sure.

robocop10mm 10-20-2009 06:46 PM

Al frames are definately easier to carry, but will not hold up to as many firings as steel. Al alloy of today is far tougher than it was 30 years ago. install a Sprinco recoil reducer and you likely will never wear out an alloy framed 1911.

masterPsmith 10-20-2009 10:11 PM

I never really liked an aluminum frame 1911. Just dosn't feel right. There is nothing like cold hard steel. The extra weight is just right for fast and accurate follow-up shots. Just my opinion..........

Jim.........

canebrake 10-20-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo (Post 175934)
Since my visit to Canebrake I was converted... I know, I want a 1911 for sure... but some models have steel frames and other has aluminum frames, which is better, and why? I think that I want an AL frame 1911 because the weight, I don't want rails for sure, but frame material... I'm not sure.

EL, it depends on what you want to do with the gun.

Target, competition; with a repeated use of a high volume of ammo (even target loads), go with the longest barrel you are comfortable with and in steel. (Carbon or SS)

If it is for CCW and maybe 2X/month practice, then go with the shortest barrel you are comfortable with and alloy.

It really is as simple as that! Today’s alloys are tough!

Gojubrian 10-21-2009 03:38 AM

I've never heard or read of any issues whatsoever with aluminum frames, it's just preference.

stalkingbear 10-21-2009 10:14 AM

I'll have to agree with Canebrake on this 1. If it's a carry gun you can easily get by with an aluminum alloy frame but I personally prefer steel. The heavier the frame is in relation to the total weight of the pistol, the faster your followup recovery will be. Naturally the aluminum frame will be more comfortable to carry but there's really not as much difference as you would think judged by "feel".

NGIB 10-21-2009 12:34 PM

The only alloy framed 1911 I owned was a Kimber Tactical Pro. It was somewhat lighter than the steel framed version and operated flawlessly. As I decided not to carry a 1911, I traded it for something - probably in steel...

IGETEVEN 10-21-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 176012)
EL, it depends on what you want to do with the gun.

Target, competition; with a repeated use of a high volume of ammo (even target loads), go with the longest barrel you are comfortable with and in steel. (Carbon or SS)

If it is for CCW and maybe 2X/month practice, then go with the shortest barrel you are comfortable with and alloy.

It really is as simple as that! Today’s alloys are tough!

+ 7 :cool:

Jack

Grayowl 11-28-2009 03:38 PM

Not only will alloy frames ware out faster, the steel frame is a better shooter. As for weight, I added a full length recoil rod which a bit weight to the front end. I carried a 1911 on duty and off for over 25 years (sometimes for 28 hours straight and would have to press my elbow against the butt to be assured that it was still there.)