Stainless vs carbon.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Stainless vs carbon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Stainless vs carbon.

I'm in Alaska, and I'm building a Damascus 1911 (slide gets in next week!), and I'm going to get the frame in a month or so. The slide is stainless. I'm going to get severn custom hard hat finish, but I'm still deciding on carbon or stainless. Stainless pits without being treated on a rail, but carbon rust easy... there's obviously more to it, but functionality wise, what are some opinions on the matter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I don't understand your statement "Stainless pits without being treated on a rail"

Stainless is more resistant to rust (but will still rust).
Earlier stainless steel products had problems with galling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

But carbon rusts quicker.

Getting a preventive measure like the Severn Custom hard hat finish will help, but care still must be taken in wear areas later.

IMO, Stainless.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2625 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I don't read Alaska as necessarily igloo lifestyle. In a modern home either grade steel will be fine. Colder doesn't mean more rust. Around here it gets worse during the hot humid summers.

Another (little) thing to consider is that not all stainless is the same. Brushed SS has the ability to trap the residue and develop stubborn stains. Polished SS needs extra care to avoid the "idiot marks". I can't really say what's best for your gun. Good luck with your project, the nights are long there.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I don't read Alaska as necessarily igloo lifestyle. In a modern home either grade steel will be fine. Colder doesn't mean more rust. Around here it gets worse during the hot humid summers.

Another (little) thing to consider is that not all stainless is the same. Brushed SS has the ability to trap the residue and develop stubborn stains. Polished SS needs extra care to avoid the "idiot marks". I can't really say what's best for your gun. Good luck with your project, the nights are long there.
Sorry, special moment concerning the gailing. No, the issue is with rust, because summers are extremely humid. They get up to 90, and the sun literally doesn't go down. Mosquitoes are the state bird in june. The winters are dry, and with the exception of -50, doesn't really bother guns. And that can be resolved with certain gun greases. Would the finish take care of the stains to a degree?

And during winter solstice we get a hour of sunlight.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2625 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd View Post
Sorry, special moment concerning the gailing. No, the issue is with rust, because summers are extremely humid. They get up to 90, and the sun literally doesn't go down. Mosquitoes are the state bird in june. The winters are dry, and with the exception of -50, doesn't really bother guns. And that can be resolved with certain gun greases. Would the finish take care of the stains to a degree?

And during winter solstice we get a hour of sunlight.
Stainless steel then. Grease is protective against rust stains during storage. Shooting the gun with a greasy slide - I honestly don't know, except it is going to be messy, and racking the slide may become a PITA.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

Yeah, I can't help but think stainless. Is Caspian the only one's that offer tungsten carbide treatment, or are there others?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

We have high humidity in Florida.

I have blued and SS firearms. I never store them in a gun rug or carrying case (those are moisture magnets).

Cleaning and wipe downs come with the territory.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Liked 954 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 727

It really doesn't make a difference. With proper maintaince either will work just fine. What is the look that you want is the most important issue. Clean your gun on a regular basis and it will be fine. Many more places way more humid for a lot longer than you endure and we have guns in both.

The thing about the cold is bringing it in out of the cold into a warm environment and the gun sweating. Wipe it down and you will be fine. Me I would go with SS but your choice.

USMC 74-78

Axxe55 Likes This