Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Stainless vs carbon. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/stainless-vs-carbon-100882/)

WannaBeVagabomd 11-27-2013 08:36 PM

Stainless vs carbon.

I'm in Alaska, and I'm building a Damascus 1911 (slide gets in next week!), and I'm going to get the frame in a month or so. The slide is stainless. I'm going to get severn custom hard hat finish, but I'm still deciding on carbon or stainless. Stainless pits without being treated on a rail, but carbon rust easy... there's obviously more to it, but functionality wise, what are some opinions on the matter?

danf_fl 11-28-2013 10:11 AM

I don't understand your statement "Stainless pits without being treated on a rail"

Stainless is more resistant to rust (but will still rust).
Earlier stainless steel products had problems with galling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

But carbon rusts quicker.

Getting a preventive measure like the Severn Custom hard hat finish will help, but care still must be taken in wear areas later.

IMO, Stainless.

Mercator 11-28-2013 02:15 PM

I don't read Alaska as necessarily igloo lifestyle. In a modern home either grade steel will be fine. Colder doesn't mean more rust. Around here it gets worse during the hot humid summers.

Another (little) thing to consider is that not all stainless is the same. Brushed SS has the ability to trap the residue and develop stubborn stains. Polished SS needs extra care to avoid the "idiot marks". I can't really say what's best for your gun. Good luck with your project, the nights are long there.

WannaBeVagabomd 11-28-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1443487)
I don't read Alaska as necessarily igloo lifestyle. In a modern home either grade steel will be fine. Colder doesn't mean more rust. Around here it gets worse during the hot humid summers.

Another (little) thing to consider is that not all stainless is the same. Brushed SS has the ability to trap the residue and develop stubborn stains. Polished SS needs extra care to avoid the "idiot marks". I can't really say what's best for your gun. Good luck with your project, the nights are long there.

Sorry, special moment concerning the gailing. No, the issue is with rust, because summers are extremely humid. They get up to 90, and the sun literally doesn't go down. Mosquitoes are the state bird in june. The winters are dry, and with the exception of -50, doesn't really bother guns. And that can be resolved with certain gun greases. Would the finish take care of the stains to a degree?

And during winter solstice we get a hour of sunlight.

Mercator 11-28-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd (Post 1443592)
Sorry, special moment concerning the gailing. No, the issue is with rust, because summers are extremely humid. They get up to 90, and the sun literally doesn't go down. Mosquitoes are the state bird in june. The winters are dry, and with the exception of -50, doesn't really bother guns. And that can be resolved with certain gun greases. Would the finish take care of the stains to a degree?

And during winter solstice we get a hour of sunlight.

Stainless steel then. Grease is protective against rust stains during storage. Shooting the gun with a greasy slide - I honestly don't know, except it is going to be messy, and racking the slide may become a PITA.

WannaBeVagabomd 11-28-2013 08:52 PM

Yeah, I can't help but think stainless. Is Caspian the only one's that offer tungsten carbide treatment, or are there others?

danf_fl 11-29-2013 11:32 AM

We have high humidity in Florida.

I have blued and SS firearms. I never store them in a gun rug or carrying case (those are moisture magnets).

Cleaning and wipe downs come with the territory.

limbkiller 11-29-2013 07:20 PM

It really doesn't make a difference. With proper maintaince either will work just fine. What is the look that you want is the most important issue. Clean your gun on a regular basis and it will be fine. Many more places way more humid for a lot longer than you endure and we have guns in both.

The thing about the cold is bringing it in out of the cold into a warm environment and the gun sweating. Wipe it down and you will be fine. Me I would go with SS but your choice.