Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Stainless main spring cover (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/stainless-main-spring-cover-37392/)

Squirrel_Slayer 01-25-2011 05:31 PM

Stainless main spring cover

I took off the plastice main spring cover on my Kimber several months back and replaced it with a steel one with the integrated speed chute from Wilson Combat. My complaint is that the oils from my hands rust it. The rust comes off easily with some Hoppes and a toothbrush, but what would you guys suggest I coat the steel with to keep this from happening in the future?

I am also going to replace the standard MIM safety with an ambi safety. What brand would you guys suggest knowing that I want to get away from MIM, and I haven't been all that impressed with the Wilson Combat stuff so far?

NGIB 01-25-2011 05:53 PM

Damn, you must be as acidic as Spitty, maybe put in a stainless MSH?. For spare parts, Ed Brown, EGW, lots of choices if you don't like Wilson...

Squirrel_Slayer 01-25-2011 06:08 PM

I like Wilson's magaizines, but the rusting problem irritates the heck out of me. Rust does not belong on my 1911. And it is by no means abused. Shot at least once or twice a month, and cleaned spotless after each use. I think I am going to soak that main spring housing in Fluid Film and see if that helps a bit.

Think I am going to look through the Brownells 1911 catalog tonight when I get home and pick out a stainless ambi safety. The pistol right now is all black and I may want to spruce it up a bit. I'll posts some pictures and get your opinions tomorrow. Is the install of the safety something that I can do on my own, or will it require special tools and have to be done by the gun smith when I take the slide in to have it milled for the rear adjustable target sight I am going to put on?

Dillinger 01-25-2011 06:21 PM

I am not ready to release all my findings yet, but I have been doing a test of our Bushcraft knives ( the Moras ) in buckets filled with high content salt water to see which of three products works best against rust.

Hands down Fluid Film is kicking the crap out of XFS Gun Protectant and WD-40.

Just sayin'

JD

NGIB 01-25-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 429392)
Is the install of the safety something that I can do on my own, or will it require special tools and have to be done by the gun smith when I take the slide in to have it milled for the rear adjustable target sight I am going to put on?

With patience and common sense you can fit a safety by yourself. Did I say patience? What you have to adjust is the clearance between the lug on the safety and the sear - and it has to be just right. I ruined the first safety I fit by going to fast and removing a skosh to much material. Did I say go slow?

Squirrel_Slayer 01-25-2011 06:37 PM

Ah, in the insterest of saving money and frustration I am just going to have the gunsmith do it. I am not a big fan of grinding away material on parts of my pistol. I'm just a sissy like that. I wonder if my smith will be irritated if I brought the safety in to him to have him install it or should I just buy the part through him and give him a little extra cash.

Ah, now I just need to save a little cash to get the wheel in motion. I think tonight I am just going to remove the MSH and soak the living snot out of it with Fluid Film, and that part I will grind on a little bit because it doesn't let the palm safety come far out enough from the frame. It doesn't hurt the functioning of the pistol, but it makes reassembly after field stripping it a real chore.

Sounds like a plan while I am tumbling 100 pieces of .45 brass, and then afterwards if I have enough gumption, I may load up 50 rounds of .223 squirrel treats. Thanks for the info guys!

danf_fl 01-25-2011 08:38 PM

A thin coat of paint should do the trick. You can always retouch.

NGIB 01-25-2011 10:21 PM

Could trade it in on a Glock. They don't rust and don't have safeties that require fitting - just trying to help...:D

Squirrel_Slayer 01-25-2011 10:22 PM

Oh, so now along with being a grumpy old man you are a smart arse as well eh?

danf_fl 01-26-2011 08:05 AM

Squirrel, Ed Brown has a great CD available on the 1911. He has pic's and good explanations. If you can find a copy (Brownells), buy it before you mess up a good firearm. ;)