Sr1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sr1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cant really say too much cause I was only able to shoot 7 rounds through it, but it felt good and shot smooth. Owner is a good friend and he is happy with it. No value in this post i guess, lol

image-1477795860.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3052 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

There is value in this post. You got to shoot it, you must have liked it (or you wouldn't have posted a pic).

The big question is "Are you getting one?"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

limbkiller Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
There is value in this post. You got to shoot it, you must have liked it (or you wouldn't have posted a pic).

The big question is "Are you getting one?"
I honestly did like it, and this particular platform would be something Id strongly consider. I really would like to build a commander possibly in 9mm. Been looking at frames and slides, I know its a huge task (been researching about 6 months) but its something Ive wanted to do for a loooong time.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I just bought one and I love it. Haven't shot a lot through it, but so far it just seems to be one fine gun.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman
I just bought one and I love it. Haven't shot a lot through it, but so far it just seems to be one fine gun.
Agreed, ......

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
I honestly did like it, and this particular platform would be something Id strongly consider. I really would like to build a commander possibly in 9mm. Been looking at frames and slides, I know its a huge task (been researching about 6 months) but its something Ive wanted to do for a loooong time.
Glore, building a 1911 from scratch is a huge undertaking. they are nothing like assembling an AR. most parts have to be fitted in order for the pistol to function properly and safely. building a 1911 from scratch is not a project for a beginner.

then there is the cost. by the time you buy all the parts, tools and manuals to build one, you could have bought a couple of really nice 1911's NIB, ready to run. there are going to be several specialized tools needed to build one and to fit the parts. unless you plan on doing more than one or two builds, it's just not cost effective to buy them.

you said six months researching. i have spent several years and still can't justify it, based on the cost. my suggestion is to do as i did, buy one similar to what you want and modify it to suit your needs or tastes. way much cheaper.

check out this thread where i did this to my Commander. give you an idea as to what's involved in doing one.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 147 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
check out this thread where i did this to my Commander. give you an idea as to what's involved in doing one.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/
Every now and them, usually about 2AM, I start reading through the Brownells 1911 catalogue and thinking "it can't be that hard to make my own". That's when I refer back to your American Classic thread and realize I can't even do that, so I sure as hell shouldn't be trying to build my own. You've saved me a considerable amount of cash and a boatload of frustration sir!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Every now and them, usually about 2AM, I start reading through the Brownells 1911 catalogue and thinking "it can't be that hard to make my own". That's when I refer back to your American Classic thread and realize I can't even do that, so I sure as hell shouldn't be trying to build my own. You've saved me a considerable amount of cash and a boatload of frustration sir!
it's not something i learned overnight and Nighthawk Custom, nor Wilson Combat are knocking down my door wanting to hire me! another thing that helped was decently priced 1911's like my AC and the RIA's coming along. building confidence for me was starting with a $500 pistol, rather than one that cost $1000. i'll let the true pistolsmiths use the higher valued 1911's!

that was a project i had been wanting and waiting to do for some time. i am now ready for the next one, a 1911 in 38 Super, turned into a budget target pistol. but honestly, it was a fun project. though i learned alot, and still have much to learn, it gave me a true appreciation of the higher dollar custom 1911's. it gave me a better understanding of what goes into a custom pistol. and why they command the prices they do.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Glore, building a 1911 from scratch is a huge undertaking. they are nothing like assembling an AR. most parts have to be fitted in order for the pistol to function properly and safely. building a 1911 from scratch is not a project for a beginner.

then there is the cost. by the time you buy all the parts, tools and manuals to build one, you could have bought a couple of really nice 1911's NIB, ready to run. there are going to be several specialized tools needed to build one and to fit the parts. unless you plan on doing more than one or two builds, it's just not cost effective to buy them.

you said six months researching. i have spent several years and still can't justify it, based on the cost. my suggestion is to do as i did, buy one similar to what you want and modify it to suit your needs or tastes. way much cheaper.

Dude no way, I appreciate your input but its a goal of mine to pursue. Something I WANT to do, im very familiar with the 1911, the same one in the photo was completely disassembled and the grip safety and trigger were adjusted to eliminate the rattle. 6 months I have researched tools, down to the files, jigs and the bit. If I fail and it turns out like s@&t (trust me that wont happen) Ill walk away satisfied. The money that will be spent over buying a factory made or even custom will be reimbursed knowing that I hand fit every part and learned even more about the awesome pistol. If it turns out great, my son will have it. Im not a kid just thinking "oh hey I can do that" You said "Several years"......man you've wasted a lot of time, it aint about the money.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
Dude no way, I appreciate your input but its a goal of mine to pursue. Something I WANT to do, im very familiar with the 1911, the same one in the photo was completely disassembled and the grip safety and trigger were adjusted to eliminate the rattle. 6 months I have researched tools, down to the files, jigs and the bit. If I fail and it turns out like s@&t (trust me that wont happen) Ill walk away satisfied. The money that will be spent over buying a factory made or even custom will be reimbursed knowing that I hand fit every part and learned even more about the awesome pistol. If it turns out great, my son will have it. Im not a kid just thinking "oh hey I can do that" You said "Several years"......man you've wasted a lot of time, it aint about the money.
well i do wish you luck. assembling and buliding a 1911 from scratch is not an easy project and definately not one for a beginner. i just try to point out the practical and sensible approaches to these subjects when they come up. and it comes up every so often.

my several years is hardly wasted time. i am not a gunsmith, but do do all my own work on my firearms and have been for many years now. so i research many different projects at different times, based on newer parts or firearms becoming available. that's the reason i went with my AC Commander for a build. based on it's cost and it's quality. ten years ago, it would have cost me twice what i spent to do the same project. i try not to jump into any project before i do quite a bit of studying on it first. i always give that same advice to everyone in regards to working on guns.