Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Springfield TRP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/springfield-trp-71692/)

Powersportgiant 09-03-2012 04:48 AM

Springfield TRP

2 Attachment(s)
I really don't see much talk on here about the TRP, so I thought I'd put up some pics of my newly acquired TRP. This is an excellent shooting gun and it feels great in hand. The front strap is aggressive, but it works out great for me.

tacticalfun 09-03-2012 04:50 AM

Is that the fbi spec trp? If so....great purchase. Years of fun ahead of you.

Viking 09-03-2012 05:02 AM

Good for you, can't say that I've heard too much about them either. I handled a stainless steel TRP about a year ago and with my callused hands it felt good to hold onto. The TRP is at the top of my wish list.

tacticalfun 09-03-2012 05:04 AM

A guy at my range in pa has a fbi spec trp man it felt good. Maybe better then my scorpion

Powersportgiant 09-03-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalfun
Is that the fbi spec trp? If so....great purchase. Years of fun ahead of you.

The FBI model is the Professional model TRP. This is just the TRP. From what I understand, very little differences. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.

Powersportgiant 09-03-2012 09:58 PM

Anyone really know ?

cjb762 09-05-2012 02:55 AM

I read on another site the pro comes directly from SA custom shop. The frames are supposedly different it sounds like all the pro's may have a light rail. I could be wrong on that. The TRP is a semi production pistol. It doesnt get as much custom attention as the pro. It is made to reassemble the pro without all the custom work. I At least that what I read. I have a TRP it's about a month old. I do know all parts have matching numbers. Due to work I've only been able to get a couple hundred rounds through it. Hopefully i will be able to give a range report with a few more rounds down range.

NitroxAZ 09-05-2012 03:12 AM

My stepson has the stainless model and it shoots like a dream. The only problem that I have with it is the front strap is too aggressive for my tastes. Other than that it is a wonderful gun.

canebrake 09-05-2012 03:09 PM

What I have found:
  • The Pro is hand built by a single Master Gunsmith. The TRP is a production assembly that gets some hand fitting.
  • The TRP uses a two piece FLGR, the Pro does not.
  • The Pro uses a SA magwell, the TRP does not.
  • The TRP uses the SA ILS, the Pro does not.
  • The TRP uses extensive MIM parts, the Pro does not.
  • The Pro is finished in Black T, the TRP is not.
  • The magwell on the Pro is blended to the frame, the TRP is not. Also the Pro magwell is 1 piece, TRP is 2 piece
  • The Pro has a flush-cut slide stop
  • No front cocking serrations on the Pro
  • Pro uses actual Novak sights, while I'm pretty sure the TRP sights are not true Novaks

smithkowitz 10-10-2012 02:50 AM

I've had a TRP (no rail) for 2 1/2 years now, it is a fantastic piece of equipment. Don't shoot it too often, maybe 500 rounds through it, but have ZERO malfunctions. It's the closest thing you can buy to the FBI version and is carried by many police. It's the only full size 1911 I own, so I cannot do an honest comparison with my other 1911's. I have a Kimber Pro 4" barrel and a low cost Rock Island Officer 3.5" barrel. Maybe I am just lucky, but I haven't had any troubles with my Kimber at all (many seem to) and for as low cost as it was, the only issue the Rock has had, was with the slide locking open after the last round. Since I cleaned it last, it has not had that problem again. My experience with 1911's or 1911 style handguns; they are extremely reliable. The TRP is a very tight gun, for a big 1911, it feels like part of your body. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very nicely built 1911 that rivals some custom built guns for less money.