Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield or Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Springfield or Ruger

Well I'm looking to buy my first 1911 (the beginning of a soon to be out of hand addiction.) Like most people price is a factor but I know you get what you pay for. I don't need a race gun, I'm looking for a nightstand/range gun/carry gun (if my state will ever allow it) and I have been looking very closely at the Springfield Range Officer and the Ruger sr1911. I know both are out of stock everywhere and allocated once they do come in, but I'm at the point where I would like to get on a waiting list for one or the other. So my question is which would you go for and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

The Springfield, because I own a Ruger.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV

Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And you're not happy with it?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

A question for you, why are you leaning towards those two? What features of those do you like?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2568 Times on 1286 Posts
Likes Given: 245

It's a tough call. I recommend you get the one that comes off backorder first wherever you plan on buying it. I've actually seen a few Range Officers. The Ruger is still a bit like Sasquatch, reported sightings by questionable sources.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
A question for you, why are you leaning towards those two? What features of those do you like?
They seem to be about the same feature wise with a little more emphasis on the springfield for fit and finish. But I like the looks of both of them, the beavertail. I like the sights better on the ruger. The other option without the default upgrades would be a springfield mil spec, but it's my first 1911 and I haven't pulled one apart yet. Once I get it I don't want to have to put more money into beavertail, different hammer, different trigger (both for looks) and pay someone to swap out sights for me.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
It's a tough call. I recommend you get the one that comes off backorder first wherever you plan on buying it. I've actually seen a few Range Officers. The Ruger is still a bit like Sasquatch, reported sightings by questionable sources.
Well my lgs doesn't stock the range officer so I would have to find one somewhere else and have it transferred but they are pretty steep on transfer fee. The ruger they have a waiting list for. I still have yet to see a Range Officer in person.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Easy answer, Springfield.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 View Post
Well I'm looking to buy my first 1911 (the beginning of a soon to be out of hand addiction.) Like most people price is a factor but I know you get what you pay for. I don't need a race gun, I'm looking for a nightstand/range gun/carry gun (if my state will ever allow it) and I have been looking very closely at the Springfield Range Officer and the Ruger sr1911. I know both are out of stock everywhere and allocated once they do come in, but I'm at the point where I would like to get on a waiting list for one or the other. So my question is which would you go for and why?
If you don't want to wait:

STI Spartan 5" 1911 9mm Best Value Match Grade 1911 Pistol on the Market Just Got Better! "FREE DP FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHT INSTALLED LIMITED TIME" Detail Page

Last edited by bountyhunter; 09-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Why not try the SA loaded target.