Springfield mil-spec?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield mil-spec?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Springfield mil-spec?

Im looking to get a new pistol for carry and the night stand. I have been looking around for a while and im pretty sure i want a 1911. My problem is i only have 500 to spend on it. I found a springfield mil-spec stainless for 480 but i know nothing about there reliability and when the other 1911s are running around seven or eight hundred it made me think. Is this going to be a trust worthy gun? How accurate is it? What do you guys think? i look forward to hearing what you have to say

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, first off, congratulations on the decision to add a pistol to your home/person and a great choice in choosing the 1911 line. John Browning's masterpiece is still the Godfather of modern autoloading pistols for a reason.

The Springfield Mil-Spec Stainless? Assuming you are talking about a 5" model - the 2008 dealer pricing is $588 and the MSRP is $784. Based on your price listed, I would assume this model is possibly a couple of years old, or it's used.

Springfield has been up and down in the world of pistol manufacturing. Lately, there stuff has been pretty good. I don't know the date they started to decline, but you will find information all over the internet that they went downhill at some point, then made a change and started taking back "their good name".

That said, you might want to check out the Taurus line of 1911 pistols. They are very well built in a CNC shop and they offer a true lifetime warranty, no matter what happens, or who you buy/sell it to/from, they stand behind their product.

Something like this, if you could find it at a local dealer, might be within your price range if you have cash.

Good luck -

JD

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

When I Decided To Get A 1911, I Wanted A High Capacity Variant. I Went With The Springfield Gi45 High Cap Which I Found For $500 And Have Had No Problems With It At All. Reliable And More Affordable Than Para Ordinance Or Kimber. Stainless Mil Specs In My Area Tend To Be In The $700+ Range So It Sounds Like You're Getting A Good Deal If Nib. As For A Carry Piece I Would Look At Their Champion Series Or Similar Four Inch Pistol For General Purpose (carry,home,target). Otherwise It Sounds Like A Great Deal For A Great Gun, I Would Buy It.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Springfield MilSpec (not the G.I.) was my first 1911. It was accurate right out of the box. I had a few FTF's and FTE's on the first outing, but more or less expected that. It was a new, tight and stiff pistol.
It became 100% dependable by the second range trip, feeding 230 gr. FMJ's. I didn't run hollow points at that time.
Initially the trigger pull was a bit stiff, but smooth with no sense of "ratcheting".
I eventually sent it off to Springfield Custom and then to Novak's for some work and the result was a pistol that was almost boring to shoot, it was so smooth and accurate.
IMHO, buy it, clean it and shoot the heck out of it. It's a great sidearm.

BTW, the G.I. is also fine, but lacks a few features of the MilSpec like three dot sights and a lowered and flared ejection port. I have old eyes and needed better sights than the stock combat sights.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What ever you decide to get, make sure it has the lowered, flared ejection port and a lowered, polished feed ramp. Those are really the 2 additions that are absolutely necessary for a 1911 to function really well.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Would anyone trust an original WWI or WWII issue 1911 as a daily use or home defense gun?

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Would anyone trust an original WWI or WWII issue 1911 as a daily use or home defense gun?
I'd love to have one, but I have 1911s that are better suited for the job.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:

That's a tough call. Perhaps after shooting the heck out of it and being sure that it's 100% reliable, then maybe.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Is it a service piece? One that was carried by our soldiers in the trenches?

If it was a service piece, if it saw action, and if it performed for me when I tested it at the range? Yeah, I would trust it - certain weapons deserve the benefit of the doubt, so some range time with a quality design like the 1911 would earn a place in my house.

You can't fade a design like the 1911 - when correctly built, it is one of the finest pieces to have at your side.

JD

Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking of buying an original someday. Why get a clone when you can get an original? I saw a couple at a recent show and they weren't too outrageous in price. Once I get a real job

9x18=Makarov