Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield, kimber, or ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A 6 year old Kimber and a 10 year old Kimber, those were days when a Kimber was a Kimber. Now IMO their a shell of what they once were and are currently riding on the coattails of a past fine reputation, and still charging serious money for a gun backed by a sub-par warranty and a customer service mantra of placing the blame on the customer and not on putting out a no longer world class product.

Do I own one? I surely wanted to, but no way will I accept a 500 round break in excuse, and a gun backed by a laughable 1 year warranty.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpuncher View Post
A 6 year old Kimber and a 10 year old Kimber, those were days when a Kimber was a Kimber. Now IMO their a shell of what they once were and are currently riding on the coattails of a past fine reputation, and still charging serious money for a gun backed by a sub-par warranty and a customer service mantra of placing the blame on the customer and not on putting out a no longer world class product.

Do I own one? I surely wanted to, but no way will I accept a 500 round break in excuse, and a gun backed by a laughable 1 year warranty.
I'm not arguing today... but I agree completely with you... the one small margin of doubt is far too large to set my life on.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #23

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I have a Kimber & I'm totally happy with mine. But, reports from other owners about reliability & customer service are about 50/50.

The Ruger 1911 hasn't been out that long & Ruger seems to be noted for new product recalls. Strictly personal, I'd prefer to wait awhile on it, but have heard some good things.

Hands down, Springfield seems to have the best track record, of the three, for customer service & I don't see a lot of complaints, compared to the number sold, about the quality/reliability right out of the box. So I guess it'd get my vote.

But, I actually have (2) Kimbers on my wish list.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYcanary

I'm not arguing today... but I agree completely with you... the one small margin of doubt is far too large to set my life on.
And I'm not hating just on Kimber, but I can see his management style slowly being implemented at Sig, and I own 3 of them and their bullet proof reputation is starting to sag if you follow them closely.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #25

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
I have a Kimber & I'm totally happy with mine. But, reports from other owners about reliability & customer service are about 50/50.

The Ruger 1911 hasn't been out that long & Ruger seems to be noted for new product recalls. Strictly personal, I'd prefer to wait awhile on it, but have heard some good things.

Hands down, Springfield seems to have the best track record, of the three, for customer service & I don't see a lot of complaints, compared to the number sold, about the quality/reliability right out of the box. So I guess it'd get my vote.

But, I actually have (2) Kimbers on my wish list.
I think that Ruger has put out a rock solid 1911. They have been out for a short while now like you said ,and the waiting list for one is still still a few miles long. I havent heard of any bugs or concerns yet from anyone that has one,thats a good thing.normally you would have some complaints by now if something was wrong with a new product.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Guys, I laugh at this waiting list for the Ruger. I see them all the time in the 2 shops I frequent. Granted they only ever have one at a time, and it goes pretty quick, but they get a new one in stock it seems like every week. Anybody want one shipped? Guns and ammo on stateline road. The sports man's ware house will likely only ship to a sister store.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #27

Trip... "Anybody want one shipped?" HA dude you are crackin me up today..!! How's that Colt..? I bet it's awesome..! I got the Glock 30 (last minute mind change before lay-awe-way)

Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I ain't got it yet! Should be about a month to a month and a half.

But I'm watching the dirty harry collection, you know how movies can influence a man's gun buying decisions!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I ain't got it yet! Should be about a month to a month and a half.

But I'm watching the dirty harry collection, you know how movies can influence a man's gun buying decisions!
HA, My Fiance and daughter got me "Rat Patrol" HAHA, I'll plan a road trip down to 'Ol Mis then, my lay a way should be finished up around then..!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Springfield, hands down, out of the three you mentioned. I have a Springer loaded and mc operator, and they are great guns. The springer's specifications are very tight and shoot very tight groups after breaking in. Zero malfunctions.

I HAD a kimber pro custom 2, and out of the 500 rounds to break it in and sent back for failure to feed problems, it came back and still FTF and jammed over 30 out 100 rounds. Got a refund and put that towards another 45. Won't buy another. I've heard the older Kimbers are good, but as far as 1911s go, I'll stick to Colt or Springfield. Kimber is too proud of themselves for what in my opinion isn't worth being proud of.

I've never shot the Ruger 1911, but if it's like the p94 or p95 I had, they degrade over time. They shot good new but went to crap the more I shot them.

Somebody mentioned a Remington R1, that sounds good. I haven't shot it either, but a friend of mine had a chrome plated Remington 1911 looked like it was military issued that a nice shooter after I got over the nasty trigger. That was about 10 years ago, I'd like to try the new one.