Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Springfield, kimber, or ruger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/springfield-kimber-ruger-54130/)

Jeremy1912 12-25-2011 06:06 PM

Springfield, kimber, or ruger

I am already planning on getting my first 1911. I was trying to decide between the Springfield, kimber, and ruger. All full size models. Out of the people that have them what are your opinions on one over the other and why? I also looked some into the S&W as well but that one is a little bit out of my price range lol.

HOSSFLY 12-25-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1912 (Post 659639)
I am already planning on getting my first 1911. I was trying to decide between the Springfield, kimber, and ruger. All full size models. Out of the people that have them what are your opinions on one over the other and why? I also looked some into the S&W as well but that one is a little bit out of my price range lol.

Only ones i've had is a Springer & S&W - both ran 100% with the S&W being my favorite :cool:
BTW- Kimber & S&W are ABOUT the same in price :)

MrWray 12-25-2011 06:49 PM

I know that springfield has a good proven 1911. there is a short supply of the Ruger 1911, some shops have a waiting list for them.from what ive heard the Ruger is a pretty decent 1911..i wont comment on Kimber.

Jeremy1912 12-25-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Only ones i've had is a Springer & S&W - both ran 100% with the S&W being my favorite :cool:
BTW- Kimber & S&W are ABOUT the same in price :)

Really? Most of the smiths I have seen even the base ones were over 1000 and the Kimbers were between 700-800

Firearms4ever 12-25-2011 07:34 PM

I recommend either Springfield or Ruger, but not Kimber. I do not like the fact Kimber only offers a 1 year warranty on all their firearms, and can be very anal about doing repairs and such. Both Springfield and Ruger offer lifetime warranties, and I have experience with both companies. Their customer service is great and they make fantastic firearms.

Paperpuncher 12-25-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
I recommend either Springfield or Ruger, but not Kimber. I do not like the fact Kimber only offers a 1 year warranty on all their firearms, and can be very anal about doing repairs and such. Both Springfield and Ruger offer lifetime warranties, and I have experience with both companies. Their customer service is great and they make fantastic firearms.

I agree, then they hide behind the "500 round breakin period" as an excuse for most everything. Or your "not using the recommend ammo" for any other malfunction.

trip286 12-25-2011 09:26 PM

I was looking at 1911's about a week or two ago, and brought up the one year warranty to the dealer. He tried to tell me that one year is all any maker gives.

He was really pushing the Kimbers. I almost walked out, but when I told him I just wasn't interested in one he sure up about it real quick. I was able to forgive and continue my window shopping.

Jeepergeo 12-25-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1912 (Post 659668)
Really? Most of the smiths I have seen even the base ones were over 1000 and the Kimbers were between 700-800

Kimber offers a lot of options and some cool features and enhancements that you only get from other manufacturers' custom shops or by sending your 1911 to a gunsmith. So make sure you compare apples to apples. The good news is you probably won't go wrong with any of those that you mentioned.

Kimbers can be a little tight out of the box, especially if you get a 1911 in their "Match" series. They do loosen up nicely after 300 or so rounds.

MrWray 12-25-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I was looking at 1911's about a week or two ago, and brought up the one year warranty to the dealer. He tried to tell me that one year is all any maker gives.

He was really pushing the Kimbers. I almost walked out, but when I told him I just wasn't interested in one he sure up about it real quick. I was able to forgive and continue my window shopping.

Trip,how close are you to getting your 1911? Ive been waiting to see a thread on your new purchase.

JonM 12-25-2011 09:54 PM

im not a kimber fan either pretty much for the reasons stated above. bad CS low QC.

ive tried the ruger 1911 it ran fine on 230grn fmj, it was a range rental gun with acceptable accuracy. just be aware ruger frames are investment cast.

ive owned a kimber in the past i would rank it somewhere south of kel tec offerings.

springfield gets 3 thumbs up. superb fit and finish and if anything is wrong which isnt common springfield will make it right. i rank springfield one small notch under colt.