Springfield GI - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield GI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Me I used Jewelers rouge and a piece of cotton cloth and a pencil or dowel. Dan says he has a PDF ytoumight want ot look over that and get some more of the fine points. Just don't get a dremel out on it....please?!!??!!
Haha a dremel will never make it's way to any of my guns.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Man..you would be surprised just how many people I've seen or read about doing it. Shame to do that to a 1911...Or BB gun..heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #13

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

usmc03, disassemble the gun, get a piece of crocus cloth (about 8 x 10" sheet), tear of a 1/2" strip longways, run the strip through the magazine well and over the feed ramp and holding one end of the strip in one hand and the other end with the other hand, draw it back and forth like polishing a shoe.

do the same to the ramp on the barrel by running it through the barrel.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Just try several types until you find one it likes. CorBon Pow'rball feeds just like FMJ because of the plastic? ball in the hollow. Polishing the feedramp will help it feed better as well.
I own a Springfield GI, 4" that has digested every kind of ammo I have fed it. The only modifications I have made is to polish the ramp and replace the sights with some that my 64 year old eyes can actually see. I stocked up on Wilson Combat 8 round magazines which work great. Never a misfire, FTF, or FTE.

CorBon's PowRball is a great choice for feeding and terminal effects. Same for Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) but their "plastic" is covered by a thin layer of copper jacket. EFMJ looks like flat nose metal jacket, but the copper covering collapses and starts the expansion when the metal meets the meat. Hornady Critical Defense is another good option.

For budget considerations, there is one school of thought that suggests that even .45 fmj is a great choice for self defense because you are starting out with a big bullet. The 1911 was designed to work with 230 grain FMJ, so that should be a natural. Some of the lower cost white-box hollow points have a smaller cavity and may feed better, but expansion for defense may be "iffy". Polishing the feed ramp is a good idea.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Step one is to get some quality mags. Sadly, the factory mags that come with most 1911s are 1 step above junk...

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #16

I run Carbon PowerBall through mine, and I used to use Remington Golden Sabers without any problems as well. The EFMJ is also a consideration however you MAY experience an issue. One more thing to consider though. FMJ .45 has been effective for a LONG time.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #17

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

1911s are like early Harley Davidson's, no two are alike. Take the advice you asked for and shoot a variety of ammo to find what your harley likes. Trust me; it's the only way to make her happy.

You are going to attack the feed ramp based on, and I quote, "I have heard these guns do not like hollow point ammo due to the feed ramp." ????

Why in god's (JMB) name would you attempt to correct an issue that you have not collected empirical data demonstrating a defect?

You hesitate buying different ammo because of price but never considered what repair to a botched feed ramp (fix?) will cost.

Most feed issues are a result of poor/lack-of maintenance. Clean the gun, NOT with crocus cloth, lube it and go collect some data.

If there is still an issue, go buy a Tripp mag and see if that fixes the problem.

Shoot the damn thing to find out if there is an issue. (empirical data)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
usmc03, disassemble the gun, get a piece of crocus cloth (about 8 x 10" sheet), tear of a 1/2" strip longways, run the strip through the magazine well and over the feed ramp and holding one end of the strip in one hand and the other end with the other hand, draw it back and forth like polishing a shoe.

do the same to the ramp on the barrel by running it through the barrel.
STOP!

You are NOT really suggesting to run crocus cloth through the barrel are you??

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
STOP!

You are NOT really suggesting to run crocus cloth through the barrel are you??

Well..maybe just a few swipes with some 80 grit on a high speed drill or dremel. you know it's the only way to ensure it wont like one ammo over another. An anorexic 1911! It wont eat anything!!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson