Springfield GI
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield GI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Springfield GI

I recently aquired a Springfield GI 1911. It has been my fathers for a few years and he decided to pass it to me. I have heard these guns do not like hollow point ammo due to the feed ramp. We have always shot FMJ rounds through it and for the most part that's probably all I'll use it for. Just out of curiousity though, if I decided to load it up for self defense what do you think would be a good round in it?

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Sometimes you may get lucky and it will feed some hollowpoints. Try it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Just try several types until you find one it likes. CorBon Pow'rball feeds just like FMJ because of the plastic? ball in the hollow. Polishing the feedramp will help it feed better as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it's an older one that's been shot a good deal it might feed HP better than you think. I'd not try the wide mouth Cor-Bon type stuff but there are some Winchester rounds with a smaller HP. I've had good luck with the Hydro Shok in a couple Gi'ss well. Shop around and get a few different kinds. I'm sure there's one that will do just fine.

Older pistols have a pretty nice polish on the feed ramp from lots of use. So it might like to eat them and it might not. But I would try it. I've owned a few 1911's that I was told they would not feed and I went on to find they did just fine.But I'd stay away from the types that have a larger opening on the end.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

How would I go about polishing the feed ramp? I plan on trying the powerball and hornady critical defense load. Thanks for the info.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Try before polishing. If it does not work, PM me. I have a PDF that might be of use.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I have a GI that I keep Extreme Shock EPR frangible rounds in, they feed just like a hardball because of the plastic tip.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

As been offered- TRY SOME
Only way to tell-------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I'd love to try a ton of rounds but unfortunately I cannot afford to buy ten different brands of ammo to try at the same time. I will try out the rounds I shoot in my other .45's which are Golden Sabers and Hornady TAP...but if they don't work I cannot afford to be spending a couple hundred bucks on several boxes of amm to try...which is why I asked here if anyone had experience with this gun and what type of rounds worked. I'll most likely get the powerball for it if my others do not work. To all that posted something helpful, thanks.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Me I used Jewelers rouge and a piece of cotton cloth and a pencil or dowel. Dan says he has a PDF you might want to look over that and get some more of the fine points. Just don't get a dremel out on it....please?!!??!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 01-08-2011 at 02:18 AM.