Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   1911 Forum (
-   -   Springfield GI (

USMC-03 01-07-2011 05:37 PM

Springfield GI
I recently aquired a Springfield GI 1911. It has been my fathers for a few years and he decided to pass it to me. I have heard these guns do not like hollow point ammo due to the feed ramp. We have always shot FMJ rounds through it and for the most part that's probably all I'll use it for. Just out of curiousity though, if I decided to load it up for self defense what do you think would be a good round in it?

danf_fl 01-07-2011 05:39 PM

Sometimes you may get lucky and it will feed some hollowpoints. Try it.

CA357 01-07-2011 05:46 PM

Just try several types until you find one it likes. CorBon Pow'rball feeds just like FMJ because of the plastic? ball in the hollow. Polishing the feedramp will help it feed better as well.

DrumJunkie 01-07-2011 05:46 PM

If it's an older one that's been shot a good deal it might feed HP better than you think. I'd not try the wide mouth Cor-Bon type stuff but there are some Winchester rounds with a smaller HP. I've had good luck with the Hydro Shok in a couple Gi'ss well. Shop around and get a few different kinds. I'm sure there's one that will do just fine.

Older pistols have a pretty nice polish on the feed ramp from lots of use. So it might like to eat them and it might not. But I would try it. I've owned a few 1911's that I was told they would not feed and I went on to find they did just fine.But I'd stay away from the types that have a larger opening on the end.

USMC-03 01-07-2011 09:23 PM

How would I go about polishing the feed ramp? I plan on trying the powerball and hornady critical defense load. Thanks for the info.

danf_fl 01-07-2011 09:45 PM

Try before polishing. If it does not work, PM me. I have a PDF that might be of use.

General_lee 01-08-2011 12:08 AM

I have a GI that I keep Extreme Shock EPR frangible rounds in, they feed just like a hardball because of the plastic tip.

HOSSFLY 01-08-2011 12:59 AM

As been offered- TRY SOME :rolleyes:
Only way to tell-------

USMC-03 01-08-2011 02:41 AM

I'd love to try a ton of rounds but unfortunately I cannot afford to buy ten different brands of ammo to try at the same time. I will try out the rounds I shoot in my other .45's which are Golden Sabers and Hornady TAP...but if they don't work I cannot afford to be spending a couple hundred bucks on several boxes of amm to try...which is why I asked here if anyone had experience with this gun and what type of rounds worked. I'll most likely get the powerball for it if my others do not work. To all that posted something helpful, thanks.

DrumJunkie 01-08-2011 03:14 AM

Me I used Jewelers rouge and a piece of cotton cloth and a pencil or dowel. Dan says he has a PDF you might want to look over that and get some more of the fine points. Just don't get a dremel out on it....please?!!??!!